Tracking Questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracking Questions

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultTracking Questions

For those of you that have done tracking.

I am getting Ruger involved in it.

I have a couple of questions.

Around my neck of the woods there are no tracking tests. And, to get into one, from what I've been told, is very difficult. Before you can even sign up for a test, you have to be "certified" by a tracking judge. I've been told the certification is the same thing as the test.

Then, once you are "certified" you go and take the test someplace (hoping you can get in). And if you pass the test you get your TD title.

Is this how it works for you in your area?

This seems very difficult. The actual tracking I think will be fun and easy, but getting certified and testing... it could take years.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tracking Questions

Quote Originally Posted by raian

Then, once you are "certified" you go and take the test someplace (hoping you can get in). And if you pass the test you get your TD title.

Is this how it works for you in your area?
    We are intermittently working on Gabby's TD (her instructor is on call for FEMA and is currently in CA).

In short, yes. That is how it works.

You get certified on a what is a basically a TD level track. They give you 4 "certificates." The certificates are only good for a year. You send one of those in each time you try to register for a test- I think they send them back if you don't get into the test. I think you loose the certificates if they expire or if you fail the test. Most TD tests take between 2-5 dogs, depending on space, and cost around 50 or more dollars (at least around here)- I've seen them go higher.

<br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Yep, that's how it works. Since it's so hard to get into a tracking test, they really want to make sure that the dogs are at a proper level before they are entered. Still, the pass rate is not 100% for the actual tests. That said, we started our TD training last November, certified in February or March and passed our test in April (all within one year). We just recently started our TDX training; no certification required to enter TDX test, but they allow even less dogs to be tested usually. We probably won't be so lucky with TDX and might have to travel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. It seems kinda of impossible.

BTW, AKC is asking for Tracking input now. Go to the website and click on EVENTS and then TRACKING to read where to send your suggestions. I sent one in about having more testing available.

Here is the address to send suggestions in for the Tracking Committee.

[email protected]

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

That's how it works.

Also a point is that your certification 'expires' (for lack of a better word) in one year and you only have four attempts to enter a test with that certification.

Poor dumb Ruby has been certified 6 times. We cannot enter a test without sending one of our attempts along.

We haven't been accepted yet. The main reason for this is that most of the tests around (read within 10 hours driving) are specialty run...ie. for a certain breed. When drawing who will run the test, the dogs of that breed are given priority.

The only Labrador club I know of that runs a tracking test is the LRCInc.

lab addict is offline Senior Member

Why are the tests so hard to get into? In a country the size of the US surley there is enough land available or are there other reasons?

Here there can be up to 90 dogs tested, by 3-4 judges, over a 3 day period!

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lab addict
    Why are the tests so hard to get into? In a country the size of the US surley there is enough land available or are there other reasons?

I would suspect it has to do with interest.

Also the tracks have to be aged and when they are in the urban areas, there is space limitations.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

labnpug is offline Senior Member

First of all, Linda, you have the basics correct of getting certified (which is the same as a test) then having to enter a test and pass (there are two judges) to get a TD. So basically you've been judged by 3 judges by the time you do pass your TD. Tracking is fun but labor intensive especially beyond the TD level. It is a real adrenaline rush to be out in an unfamiliar field following your dog at a run not knowing whether they are right or not and then suddenly there is the glove and everyone cheering! I have put 3 TDs on my Labs and have tracked with Jazz but not gotten her certified yet and am sorry I haven't now that there will be less tests in my area (calling my area about a 3 hour from home radius). I need to get Zamboni and Summer out practicing before it gets too cold here but now with it dark at 5 p.m. it makes it hard if you work.

Quote Originally Posted by lab addict

Where are you located?

There are several factors tests are hard to get into -- first available land. I am in the midwest (Wisconsin, about 2.5 hours from Chicago) and there are a lot of tests in both Wisconsin and N. Illinois. We are pretty much the tracking heart of the county. However, many state and county parks which used to be used for tests are banning dogs. Areas that used to be available now have subdivisions or industrial parks built on them so can't be used. At many tests in the Chicago area there have been problems with pet people letting their dogs interfere at test sites or when people are training. On the tracking-l list there have been some posts over the years about people being terribly rude when asked to keep their dog away from a tracking test site.

Also, the addition of the VST test level has had many clubs changing to other levels of testing so there are now less TD tests. The one tracking club I belong to is going to cut out their 12 dog fall test and sub in a TDX test. They used to have 3 TD tests per year, now will just have 1. The clubs do not make money on the tests -- by the time they pay judges, awards, hospitality and any payment towards the test site they are barely, if at all, breaking even. The AKC limits the number of dogs allowed in a TD test to 12, a TDX test to 6 and a VST test to 6 so if a club put on one of each of those per year that doesn't allow very many dogs in the test and with a 20 to 50% passing rate (depending on test level) there are many dogs who have to re-enter tests in the future.

Deb H.
    Dunn's Marsh
    www.dunnsmarshlabs.com
    <br />Cori and Lily (my angel pug)

lab addict is offline Senior Member

Deb, I am in Australia. I would say that most of our tests are done on private farming land but some are done in state forrest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast