FRUSTRATED...and so giving up
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FRUSTRATED...and so giving up

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

DefaultFRUSTRATED...and so giving up

on training Ruby for Open. I get mad at her everytime, so we are going to stop training all together for a while, while she is breaded.

Then I will have her puppy to train, and I never have to slap a training collar on her sorry self again.

I am so mad with her...even though she wouldn't know it. Why do some dogs just infuriate us?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: FRUSTRATED...and so giving up

Welcome to my world with Hunter my 4 yr old male who will NEVER understand don't play with the other dogs in the sit/down stays. Many times I stop training with him for 6 months or so because I get so irritate with him. Thank god his kids love to work
    Alicia

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

breaded? Are you going to eat her???

I hope you mean you are going to breed her?

Don't give up. Just make training a game and keep at it. Eventually it all clicks. Trust me, it took Ruger 17 shows to get his CDX. They don't call Open the "heartbreak" class for nothing It is HARD work to earn advanced obedience titles on a dog. Keep training and your hard work will pay off.

I'm curious as to why she is infuriating you so? What are you currently working on that is giving you problems?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Maybe it's a good idea to back off for a bit. It's possible that Ruby is sensing your frustration and it affects her training in a bad way. I remember you talking about Ruby's retrieving problems, is it her retrieve (or lack of it) that's making you furious? You can train all the other pieces and give her a rest from retrieving for a while. She might be more excited to get back to it after a break.

I think Open is quite a bit harder than Novice and that's why there are fewer CDXs than CDs. I also think that Open is an extremely fun class and I hope that you'll get to compete in it either with Ruby or another dog.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry. It is definitely a good idea to walk away when you're that frustrated. When is she due to come into season? Could that have anything to do with it, the hormones?

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    breaded? Are you going to eat her???

I hope you mean you are going to breed her?
    I don't mean to speak for her, but I think Melissa is joking around with the "breaded" comment. She knows about breeding. Heck, she may know about "breading" too!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Oh Melissa, advanced classes can be so frustrating. For me the challenge is what is the key to get the door opened to their understanding. That is what I am going through with Caleb and his go-outs in the ring. Don't put too much expectation on that next puppy cause it might be worse! That is what I tell myself all the time. Each dog has their issues to learn to work through. The dogs like my Becca who got her UD before she was three years old are the exception. With bitches they can get really flakey about a month before they come into season, too. Another reason I like my boys to train ;D Give yourself a couple days off. What are your problems you are having with her. Some of the exercises too many people try to make games out of. Some of them need to be you do it no matter what--there is no choice.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

patm is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry you're having so much difficulty - but sounds like its definetly time to at least step back and rethink. I am still realizing that Emilu just isn't going to be the perfect dog. That even thought some of are problems are certainly ME, and my lack of expereince if nothing else, I am also realizing that she is just a dog with "issues". I am so glad we werent' successful in breeding her (not in response to you breeding Ruby) because I didn't really want to pass on these traits of her personality and I only really realized she had them the more I had her out and about. That said, I can work with a quirky dog because she is so smart, and bright, and does try hard to learn and do what I ask of her - it's just a touchy process. Are you having any other fun with Ruby? Sometimes we concentrate so had on "learning" and think that is our time together with our dog, that we don't do any 'doggy fun things" just for them. But if you are just frustrated with obedience, your dog will definitly know and respond accordingly - even if they are the reason to begin with. I hope you guys find a balance and start enjoying each other again.

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

No, I am breading her, and deep frying her yellow ass too!

She does everything so well, EXCEPT THE RETRIEVES. We're taking private lessons and even the trainer is getting frustrated. She is so good at most of the utility crap, except the scent articles, which we haven't tried because she doesn't have a retrieve. Even Susan would be proud of the go-outs (LOL) and her signals are awesome!

She is just so obviously defiant, and trust me, Roo doesn't know I am stressed. We keep things up up up and fun fun fun, but she is just totally infuriating.

I don't know that I am going to do obedience with her puppy...I am that mad!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    No, I am breading her, and deep frying her yellow ass too!
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much

She is just so obviously defiant, and trust me, Roo doesn't know I am stressed. We keep things up up up and fun fun fun, but she is just totally infuriating.
    That is where a forced retrieve or a correction could come in. I friend of mine (one of my students) with her Spinone was having the same problem. I told her she would have to come up with some type of correction and I gave her some ideas. What worked for her was if Libby refused to pick up the bell she took her by the collar and pushed her head down until she picked it up. Took about a week and she did it. What are you instructors telling you? These the same Golden people?
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

patm is offline Senior Member

Isn't it horribly ironic that we can have problems with a lab retrieving? I can't help but think that if you are as upset as you are about this, that your dog does know it. How is she "obviously defient", because as you know, we generally don't think that dogs are purposely defiant - they might appear to be, but there is some other reason behind it. To be sure, I don't have tons of experience in training dogs, but it amazes me that it seems like everyone believes that the retrieve needs a more forceful training than anything else. We have to "force" the dog to know that it has to retrieve everytime and use harsher methods to do this than anything else that we train for in obedience. Do we 'force" a dog to sit?, or lay down? or jump? Yes, the dogs need to know that that is what they are supposed to do, everytime, and with other more interesting or scary things happening around them. And we all have various different ways of doing this, but somehow with retrieving eveybody seems to get really uptight and start using words like "force", and "must obey". (sorry, kinda got on my rant on retrieving that I have been wondering about, but never posted) Emilu and I tried the ear pinch method because I was practically forced to by my instructor against my better judgement, and if I had continued it, it would have ruined Emilu. I knew it instinctively then, and now that I have been training her longer, know it from experience. She gets very nervous just seeing (or hearing) it applied to another dog. Don't mean to lecture - I know you posted to vent your frustration and I really sympathize - hope you can find a way back to not being so frustrated with Ruby - and Ruby - don't be so hard on your mama!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast