Help Me Understand...

Thread: Help Me Understand...

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp Me Understand...

I get confused with this.

Let's say the XYZ Golden Retriever Club is putting on a show. Can I show my labs there?

This has always confused me and I don't know how it works. It seems sometimes you can, and sometimes you can't.

Besides sending in my entry and then being told I can't show a labrador there, how do I know???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help Me Understand...

If you can find the premium somewhere on the internet, it usually says "Poodles only" , or something like that) Did I say poodles? As in, I entered a poodle specialty once and didn't find out until the show secretary left a message on my answering machine? If I couldn't find it anywhere, then I would e-mail or call the show secretary, or who's ever name you can find on their club info to contact. It isn't really clear information to find. :-\

lcspt is offline Senior Member

What I have seen is, if a specialty is hosting the show it's for their breed only unless it says all breed obedience or rally.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I don't understand how you know it's a "speciality"?

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

If a single-breed (rather than all-breed) club is putting on a show, it is most often going to be a specialty show, I would say...you should be able to tell by the name of the show (ie "all-breed") or by looking at the classes/judges (only one conformation judge per day? Likely going to be judging only one breed) to see if other breeds are included. At a specialty show, many times they'll open obedience/rally to other breeds as well...

For instance, our local lab club is having our second year's specialty shows this weekend, and while only offering obedience/rally on one day (Sunday, I think?), those performance classes are open to all breeds. Look at the premium cover:
    http://www.west-point.org/family/hig...mium07_web.pdf

It states "specialty show" but then adds in that obedience/rally open to all breeds.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

The AKC Events page always has either "All Breed" or, for example, "Golden Retriever" listed. Just go to akc.org and click events, the do the events and awards search. Then just click on the event you are interested in. On the window that pops up with the event information, under "Competition Types Offered," it will say "Obedience: All AKC Recognized Breeds" or "Obedience: Golden Retriever" (for example).
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

Wow, I never thought to check the AKC website. That makes perfect sense now. Thanks!

I usually use infodog.com for shows.

I will check AKC site now when I'm not sure.

patm is offline Senior Member

Linda, I use infodog and I thought you could basically tell it was a specialty because it would be held by a breed club and one of the shows would be an "S" - indicating specialty - still doen'st say if the obedience/rally part is open to other breed, but it's a start to know that at least some of it is a specialty.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZRL
    The AKC Events page always has either "All Breed" or, for example, "Golden Retriever" listed. Just go to akc.org and click events, the do the events and awards search. Then just click on the event you are interested in. On the window that pops up with the event information, under "Competition Types Offered," it will say "Obedience: All AKC Recognized Breeds" or "Obedience: Golden Retriever" (for example).
    That is where I get a lot of my information. The AKC site lists the shows and if they have all breed obedience. There is a Siberian Husky club in the area that always has an all breed obedience trial along with their Specialty. Miami Valley Lab club added all breed obedience to their Specialty, too. I find the AKC website the best place to find that information out at.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org