DOR
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOR

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDOR

I wrote about this in the training journal, but I've been teaching gabby the DOR using Dianne Baumman's method (first the hand signal, then the down in motion while heeling, then dropping them on a short recall and then backing away and calling again).

We're at the point where we're doing the short recall/drop/back away. She seems to creep a few steps forward before dropping, and obviously I don't want that.

Trainer suggested a throw chain or a yard stick thrown in front of her to teach her that "things will get her" if she moves past the drop command. However, I'm really not a fan of that -Gabby shuts down, I'm not comfortable throwing things at or near her (1) I have terrible aim and (2) we both have more fun/better results if there is a way we are both comfortable with.

Do you guys have any suggestions for preventing the creeping besides the throw chain?
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: DOR

Lay a 2" board on the floor across the path of the recall and drop her just behind the board. You need to get your timing right and later you can give her a smaller visual with a dowel or your leash and then take it totally away.

I did a drop game with a toy or food behind a board to teach it and for the dog to respect the barrier.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

We tried throwing been bags at Scotty but he thought they were fun. So, that did not work for us. We then used a stick (actually, the bar from the bar jump at first, then smaller stick, then none at all) on the ground to help Scotty know where the boundary was. It might take couple practice DOR to figure out the timing, but it really helped him to not go past the stick. We eventually made the stick smaller and phased it out altogether.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Well, I probably have tried it all! LOL! With the throw chain you are trying to scare the dog into compliance rather than train the exercise--something I like to reserve for future should they know what to do but continue to not do it. I begin with lots of random drops even allowing them to chase food or a toy and dropping when I say even if they are close to the item, not allowing them to get the item until after I drop and release. I will also use a 2" board or driveway marker to help teach them not to travel. I also teach a "back down" and teach them to back up if they travel too much. Been working on perfecting Caleb's dor so he does not travel at all using the back down and now he stops and folds down. Now just get him to do it faster! LOL!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

Well, since this is one of the only exercises for open that we are near 100% on, I can reply!!!

I tend to do things a bit differently.

I taught Ruby to drop in front of me, and as soon as she was down, I threw a treat. It doesn't matter where the treat went, but she got a treat. This did two things, she saw my arm move, then the treat came.

She is very fast. And doesn't travel at ALL. Its drop and BANG, she's down watching where her treat is going to go.

I was told not to give the dog the signal in the open ring, to use the voice command as it is easier for the dog, so thats what we do. We also don't call her front, its Ruby COME, DOWN, FRONT. She only gets dropped from the come, never the front, which is good, since we were still working on novice.

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    Well, since this is one of the only exercises for open that we are near 100% on, I can reply!!!

I tend to do things a bit differently.

I taught Ruby to drop in front of me, and as soon as she was down, I threw a treat. It doesn't matter where the treat went, but she got a treat. This did two things, she saw my arm move, then the treat came.

She is very fast. And doesn't travel at ALL. Its drop and BANG, she's down watching where her treat is going to go.

I was told not to give the dog the signal in the open ring, to use the voice command as it is easier for the dog, so thats what we do. We also don't call her front, its Ruby COME, DOWN, FRONT. She only gets dropped from the come, never the front, which is good, since we were still working on novice.
    So you taught the hand signal, but didn't use it in the ring or taught both hand/verbal?

Did you let her get up get the treat or did you have her watch the treat and then get it when you released her (a watch and then find the treat game)? Gabby loves treat games (duh!), so this really may work for us.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

When I first taught DOR and the Utility signals, I back tied Murray so he couldn't creep.

I don't understand why they wouldn't want you to use a hand signal. You use signals in Utility. I would think you'd be ahead of the game if the dog already knows to watch your hands. :-\
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

A lot of people use the signal for the dor. Some dogs respond better to it.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

My understanding is, and it makes sense to me, that the dog would hear the signal rather then see it, which he/she could be distracted and not see it

I let her get up to get her treat. And I rarely call her to front after actually. Its just a running come, and down.

We've pretty well weaned the treats out. And when I was outside raking leaves yesterday the neighbor was laughing his head off because everytime I turned towards her she would drop. We're going to turn it into a trick, my nephew is working in BANG.

Not sure thats a good idea, but hell, she spins the wrong way on the swing finish and walks backasswards on the slow and figure 8, so what harm can be done?

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

We taught DOR with both hand signal and verbal and then watched which one had a better response. For Scotty, verbal was a better choice. We still train using both and alternating them. We also use "come here" for both pieces of the DOR (i.e., here, drop, here). I know many people use different commands (i.e., here, drop, front). I guess whatever works better for the dog is the way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast