Preliminary review of Jane Simmons Moakes "Excelling in Agility- Sequence Train"

Thread: Preliminary review of Jane Simmons Moakes "Excelling in Agility- Sequence Train"

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultPreliminary review of Jane Simmons Moakes "Excelling in Agility- Sequence Train"

Just got this this week, and I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed. The first chapter claims that unless your dog is a mentally-damaged rescue, physical corrections are absolutely mandatory. Although I appreciate the course layouts and maps, the frequent suggestions of "motivational leash pops" for refusals is more than a little frustrating...

Guess I'll just use this one for the diagrams....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Preliminary review of Jane Simmons Moakes "Excelling in Agility- Sequence Train"

Hmmm...well I guess as with any training method, take what you can use and forget the rest...or save it for another dog.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Preliminary review of Jane Simmons Moakes "Excelling in Agility- Sequence Tr

I don't do corrections in agility, it's all about the fun and when we goof up, it's generally my fault, so I just say, "Oh silly, let's do it again! and we try again.

In obedience I do correct with verbal and physical corrections and I am a firm believer in them as the dog must begin to learn how to make the correct decisions on his own (at higher levels) so you have to instill in them right from wrong, you need to draw that line in black and white for them so they can understand what you want. IMHO, dogs that are never corrected in obedience do not do well in the higher levels.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Preliminary review of Jane Simmons Moakes "Excelling in Agility- Sequence Train"

And I disagree - but that horse has been beaten to death, and I still think there is no place for physical corrections in agility, for any dog.

agilityretrievers is offline Senior Member

It's a really old book, and I doubt she still trains that way. Most of her methods and the general ideas (wait to sequence until your dog has solid obstacles, that sort of thing) are very good.
    Katie, MACH Dusty NAP OJP AAD EAC OGC OJC RS-E GV-E JS-O CL4-R C-JrH CGC, and Boo AX OAJ

this is the latest edition, published this year, sadly.

agilityretrievers is offline Senior Member

Hmm, then I don't know. But I think most of it would be easy to do without the "motivational leash pops" or whatever (if you've done enough rewarding of obstacles, the dog should be going for the obstacle way before you have a chance to grab the leash and pull).
    Katie, MACH Dusty NAP OJP AAD EAC OGC OJC RS-E GV-E JS-O CL4-R C-JrH CGC, and Boo AX OAJ