Our 1st Novice Obedience class

Thread: Our 1st Novice Obedience class

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

DefaultOur 1st Novice Obedience class

Blue and I had our first Novice Obedience class last night at the kennel club. And, as I suspected, getting Blue to give her full attention to me (after being "Daddy's dog" for so long, lol) is going to be our biggest hurdle. I can see that it will also take her a couple of classes to adjust to the environment also. She was so busy smelling all the matts and everything else "new" at the club that she was very distracted. That said, we weren't too shabby with our down, about, and back. Our instructor just explained the pace to me, away we went, and she seemed fairly satisfied with our first time with that exercise- although we failed miserably at the recall, lol. Blue sat right where she was instructed (which I knew was not a problem from her field work) but she flew right past me when she was called- again going back to the issue of her giving me her attention. One funny thing is that I thought there would be more teams/dogs in our class. We only have 4 teams in our class, 2 of which just signed up last night. There were plenty in the agility class in the next ring though.

So, there's things we have to work on, but I think we can do it. And, maybe someday (although not anytime soon), we'll be able to join those agility folks in the next ring.
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Our 1st Novice Obedience class

Terri Arnold in her video said that when people ask her what three things you need for dog training she says "attention, attention, and attention"! She says that novice people always say "leash, collar, and treats"

Sounds like a good class!
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Thanks, gabbys mom, we did have lots of fun! I think it's going to be a really enjoyable experience for us. Terri Arnold sounds like she really knows her stuff! I assume she's a trainer or handler? Where can I find her videos?
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors

In Loving Memory:

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Her videos have been out of print (production?) for a while- maybe ebay? I borrowed them from a trainer friend.

Her website www.terriarnold.com - she has her books for sale there. They have GREAT step by steps for teaching attention and all the exercises!.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    Her videos have been out of print (production?) for a while- maybe ebay? I borrowed them from a trainer friend.

Her website www.terriarnold.com - she has her books for sale there. They have GREAT step by steps for teaching attention and all the exercises!.
    Thanks! I will check them out!
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors

In Loving Memory:

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Sounds like it will be a great experience for you both! It will be nice that there are only 4 teams involved, too, because that allows you to have more one-on-one time with the instructor, yet still have other teams around to help with "distraction training" later on.

Libby did that exact same thing with the recall exercise at our first obedience match in our Novice A class. She has a *fantastic* (and VERY fast) recall where she comes absolutely racing at me only to do a quick halt/sit right in front of me. It is probably our best obedience exercise. At that match, however, after she came racing at me, she dodged neatly around my legs and went flying out of the ring, butt-tucking around the ring 3 times before someone finally caught her. I was always taught during a heel exercise to just keep doing what I'm doing according to the judge's instructions, regardless of what the dog is doing, so being the novice, I did just that...stood there, awaiting further instruction from the judge (while my dog went racing around through everyone's set-ups), LOL. She finally looked at me with a look that was a combination of disgust and entertainment and told me "Well? Go get your dog." THAT is one obedience class I'll never forget.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

debjen is offline Senior Member

sounds like a good class

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a fun class!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org