arrgh trainer vent
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arrgh trainer vent

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Defaultarrgh trainer vent

I'm having a bit of an issue with my trainer. I love a lot of things about her BUT

She's soooo flaky. She's between 10-30 minutes late for every lesson, even if she's in the building. She doesn't see it as a problem for me - though it's really getting to be, with juggling driving to her building (a 35-45 minute drive depending on traffic), work, and school. Then she gets annoyed that the dog's tired when we start the lesson- hello? you were futzing around? I wasn't going to sit here? I started working her.

Also, if she's running late, and I'm not the first lesson on board that morning (which I try to be), she tends to cut my lesson short. "I have so much to do so I've got to get going."

Another example- she was going to pick up goobs this morning (goobs likes to play with her dogs and gets 2-3 hours of outside play time, trainer works with her 2-3 times during the day, and i get to go to school all day and do work- sounds great in theory, right?). I talked to her about it on Sunday and on Monday. I sent her a reminder email last night. Normal pick up time is approx 7:15. At 7:45, she calls me and says she just woke up at will be there in 20. No prob, happens to everyone. I take Gabby outside to play fetch with her and wait for trainer. At 8:15, I come inside. She doesn't come until 8:35 (she lives six blocks from me- but won't let me drop off goobs, either).

This is absolutely driving me nuts!!
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: arrgh trainer vent

"Dear (trainer):

I wanted to say how much I've been enjoying our training sessions - Gabby and I have been learning so much and every week I'm seeing improvement in my girl. I am becoming a little concerned about our scheduling, however. My work commitments require me to be present at (time) and I do need to be sure that Gabby will be picked up and taken care of at the times we've discussed and set previously.

In class, I also need to know that we'll be getting an hour's worth of dedicated training time with you. I realize that you are very busy - would it be possible to reschedule Gabby's hour to a more convenient timeslot?

Once again, thank you for all your valuable help with Gabby and myself

Yours, Gabby's mom

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Wow, that's very inconsiderate of her. I think I'd be looking for a new trainer. Have you trying to find other trainers in your area? How do you pay for the lessons? If she's half an hour late and cuts your lesson short, I'd prorate the lesson cost and only give her so much money. Maybe that would open her eyes. Sorry that this is such a problem. It's hard to find a great trainer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    Wow, that's very inconsiderate of her. I think I'd be looking for a new trainer. Have you trying to find other trainers in your area? How do you pay for the lessons? If she's half an hour late and cuts your lesson short, I'd prorate the lesson cost and only give her so much money. Maybe that would open her eyes. Sorry that this is such a problem. It's hard to find a great trainer.
    I haven't really tried to find other trainers. I may try talking to her first, but then I may ask around and see who other people are training with.

I pay in "sets of three"- 80 for three lessons- so I've paid in advance. I may try doing what you suggest.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    "Dear (trainer):

I wanted to say how much I've been enjoying our training sessions - Gabby and I have been learning so much and every week I'm seeing improvement in my girl. I am becoming a little concerned about our scheduling, however. My work commitments require me to be present at (time) and I do need to be sure that Gabby will be picked up and taken care of at the times we've discussed and set previously.

In class, I also need to know that we'll be getting an hour's worth of dedicated training time with you. I realize that you are very busy - would it be possible to reschedule Gabby's hour to a more convenient timeslot?

Once again, thank you for all your valuable help with Gabby and myself

Yours, Gabby's mom
    I like this. I may try using it as "talking points"- I think most of the people she works with are okay to hang out during the day (stay at home moms, retired people, etc)- maybe I just need to tell her that it needs to be different for me?

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Oh dear. Sorry to hear you are having trainer problems! That really sucks. >

Definitely talk to her about it, especially if you feel that she is a good instructor for you and Gabby! I'd prolly be looking for another though, especially if these things have been going on for some time.

I like Nancy's note!!! Hey Nance, where were you when I had to write my breakup note to my instructor??!! LOL!

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

patm is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't be able to tolerate that lateness at all - especially since your time is precious to you (and you are PAYING for her time) I am not very optimistic about a chronically late person even being able to suddenly start being on time, but you could try. Also - maybe if you say at the end of a session where she was so late - "hmmm , lets see, - you were 20 minutes late tonight , so if we subtract that from my time, - how much will I owe you? Good luck - I'd start at least looking around for someone else because it sounds like you will be chronically frustrated with this. I have the almost opposite problem. It takes me over 1.5 hours to get to my training, and I even leave work early that day to be able to get there on time. I do get there on time, but if everyone else is 10 or 15 minutes early she will start the class. Then when Emilu and I get there she says - "hurry up Pat and get started - you already missed long sits" grrrrrrrr.......

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

This is just very inconsiderate of her and shows a lack of professionalism.

I tend to go the opposite way. My hour lessons generally run 30 minutes OVER time because I like to give everyone enough time to run/work their dogs. This is, of course, if I don't have a lesson after. When I do have a lesson after, I tell folks in the first group that they are welcome to stay and work their dogs a bit more.

I'm also way too cheap, and I know it. I just figure what I would want to pay, and charge that. I tend to be a cheap-skate, but I can't see charging what some of the folks around here charge, it's outrageous IMHO.

I would talk to her first, and then if she doesn't change, I'd look for another trainer.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Agree with everyone - she isn't acting very professional and I can't imagine anyone liking how she runs her business. And you have to remember it is a business - you are her customer! It sounds like she thinks she is treating you like she is doing a favor. Definately talk with her or send the letter (I liked it too) and if that doesn't change things I'd look for another trainer. Actually I'd be looking for another trainer anyway - might as well know your options now.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I agree, very unprofessional! I hate to start my classes late and I hate when my class starts late. Very unprofessional and not very considerate.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast