Moose's heeling tonight was great - aah!

Thread: Moose's heeling tonight was great - aah!

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultMoose's heeling tonight was great - aah!

At class we did on and off lead heeling for about 1/2 hour and Moose was right on. I rarely treat him during class because he can get too food crazy and he still did really great. I talked to my instructor tonight about the inconsistency I'm getting from him and her suggestion is that I not do any warm ups with him. Take him out of the crate just before going in and then doing just some basic warmups while loading him with treats and then just go straight into the ring, avoid waiting outside the ring. She thinks the heat is probably the problem - she was at the same show and agreed it was really hot.

I've decided not to do the indoor trial (avoid adding issues); really work the focus making it as fun as I can and hopefully by Dec. we will be ready to try again.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Moose's heeling tonight was great - aah!

That's great! It's always encourageing when they have a good night in class. Emilu and I are still a work in progress and I am always trying to figure out what helps her do best at a show, and I have found that not warming her up too much is helpful. I do like to get to a show early and let her scope things out and do just a little warm-up to let her know that's what she's there for, but have found that too much time waiting ringside makes her nervous and she is more likely to shut down in the ring.

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I found that same thing out with Gabby. It's best if I let her chill in the crate until 2 dogs before her run (assuming she's pottied recently) and pull her out then, do a quick "up" warm up and go.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Same here. I potty Murray, play with him with a toy for a few minutes, warm up then heel straight into the ring. We do our exercises, then we go play with a toy again before crating him.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE