Unsuccessful at getting our 2nd CD leg today

Thread: Unsuccessful at getting our 2nd CD leg today

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultUnsuccessful at getting our 2nd CD leg today

This sport can be so frustrating! We are having such crazy weather in So. Cal. I thought waiting for the fall would mean cooler days, but it was 90 by the time we went in the ring and that is just too hot for Moose. He just loses focus right away. We obviously have a lot of work to do on heeling so that this stops being a theme for us. His recall, figure 8 and sit and downs were great - but heeling was horrible. He really seemed to like a particular portion of the grass in the ring.

So now I'm trying to figure out when to show again. I definately need to bring the heeling up a notch to ensure better success. Any suggestions? My first thought is to try the clicker with Moose and see if I can get his attention to be stronger. In our first leg his off lead was actually better than on lead - but not today!

I have to say though, his recall rocked! I was having problems with him and starting breaking it down into just the recall and keeping the finish separate and what a difference.

There is nothing like an NQ to get the motivation going!
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Unsuccessful at getting our 2nd CD leg today

What a bummer but it's good that you learned what area needs focus.

Rally helped Murray's heeling the most. Have you thought about going on to finish the Rally titles?

As for attention, Terri Arnold has a really good attention program.

What I've done (am doing) with Murray and Essy is work attention in a sitting position first. My dogs are extremely food motivated so the most basic distraction they have to get thru is food. First pick your attention spot. Murray's is my hand. Essy's is the arm band. I ask for attention while dropping pcs of food from my left hand (which is at my waist). If they look towards the dropped food, I grab their ear (don't pinch or grab it, just tug it for attention) or pop their collar and say "watch". I do this a couple of more times. Then I give them food (from my left hand for Murray; from the arm band for Essy) and release them to get the food on the ground. Then we repeat the process. Once I have this pretty good, I add other distractions. First, just someone standing near by. Person clears their throat or moves their hand, anything. If the dog looks, I grab their ear again (or pop their collar) and say "watch". When they are watching with the distraction they get a treat. Then I have the person squeak a toy. Gradually increase the distractions and the amount of time attention is required. Then you start back at the very beginning and ask for attention while taking one step of heeling with minor distractions. Gradually increase the distractions and the amount of steps. Hopefully his makes sense. It's easier to show someone than to write it.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Rally helped Murray's heeling the most. Have you thought about going on to finish the Rally titles?
    I actually chose the CD route vs Rally because when we would do rally off lead (have our RN) he would start to wander, but was doing much better in a more routine heeling pattern such as in Novice. I'm taking a Rally Advanced class starting early Dec.

Thankyou for the attention info. That would really help and Moose is definately food motivated.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Sorry about the NQ. Yes, it can be very frustrating. But when you Q, it's also so rewarding (or even better, when you place!).

You might want to invest in a heeling belt or similar contraption to help with Moose's focus during heeling. Also, break your heeling pattern down. Work on his focus while sitting at your side first. Then, work on keeping his focus for 2-3 steps on a straight line. Increase the distance for your straight lines. Then work on turns and still keeping his focus on the focal point. Then work on changes of pace. Heeling is really something that you keep working on during the dog's entire career.

I have to say though, his recall rocked! I was having problems with him and starting breaking it down into just the recall and keeping the finish separate and what a difference.
    I rarely ask Scotty to finish after the exercise when we're training. If you ask the dog to finish after each recall in training, the dog tends to do automatic finishes. We usually practice the exercises and the finishes separately. Once in a while we'll combine in training but not very often.

Scout and friends Guest

Hi Sharon

My obedience instructor had me change the pace of my walk - she felt I was walking too slow for Scout. Also the size of my steps, make them a bit longer. I practiced on my own at first to get the change down. It's really improved the heeling - on lead and off. For some reason the change of stride and quicker pace alone got her focusing more.

If I walk like that on my own, practice around the house, Scout's ears perk up and a few times I've looked down and there she is at my left side. It's kind of cute. I think she really associates that walk with heeling now.

Glad to hear your recall is back on track. Does it ever slide back? Scout is going to drive me nuts with the recall. She is so good with the daily life recalls, she almost never doesn't come when called. Trial recalls - different story all together. We had those rock solid, then she bailed on them for a while, got that fixed up, and now she's sliding back to not doing them again. "Oh, I just don't know - do I have to? And why are these people looking at me!"

Hope you get that 2nd and 3rd leg soon!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

We has humans do normally slow down when we get into the ring. That is why we have to be thinking all the time. Thinking about footwork on turns, abouts, speed, etc. I do practices fronts and finishes sperately but Caleb still will do an auto finish periodically (like this weekend!) so it does happen. Heeling is boring so I try to make it fun for Caleb--games, toys, unexpected treats, doing a whole heeling pattern slowly, doing the rally doodling exercises. As you said, nothing like an nq to motivate to work on things! But the q's is when you see it paying off.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dakkerdog

I actually chose the CD route vs Rally because when we would do rally off lead (have our RN) he would start to wander, but was doing much better in a more routine heeling pattern such as in Novice.
    Yes but when he starts to wander off lead in Novice, what can you do? In Rally, you can pat your leg, clap your hands, call him back to you, etc and get his attention back on the task at hand. You can also praise as he is heeling to let him know he is doing the right thing which builds his confidence in the ring. I used Rally like a fun match because I could correct (verbally) if needed in the ring during a show environment. Yes dogs know the difference between shows and practice. They learn pretty quickly that you can't correct them during a show which is why Rally is invaluable as a training tool.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Another thing I suggest is getting his attention when you simply say his name, because you CAN say his name in the ring, so this is a free "command" for your dog. Every time you stop in your heeling pattern, you can then say, "Moose, Heel,". Do what Lydia suggests with the "watch" command, but use his name and drop the food. This has really saved my butt in the ring with Ruger.

Also, and I can't emphasize this enough, haul him to all kinds of places, get him out of the car, and do heeling patterns. I go to local parks, grocery store parking lots (pick a corner where there aren't any cars parked), police station parking lots, high school grassy areas, etc. The more you do this, the better his heeling will start to become.
    It's like putting miles on him. The more mileage he gets, the easier he will be to handle in the ring.