My note to my private instructor... do you think it sounds okay??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My note to my private instructor... do you think it sounds okay??

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy note to my private instructor... do you think it sounds okay??

Dear ********

I just wanted to write and say thank you for all that you've done for Henry and I! Without the wonderful foundation that you gave us and all of your attention and hard work, I doubt that we would have been able to achieve our PCD and CD in such a short amount of time!

We are both excited to be training for Open now, but with my brother's baby due to make his/her arrival very soon and my work schedule changing yet again (grrr! but, more hours for me = portable jump set for Henry!) I fear that we won't have a lot of free time to train and practice for the next while.

I certainly don't want to waste your valuable time, nor inconvenience Wizard and her mom with frequent lesson changes, so, I think we're going to take a little break from training until things settle down somewhat.

I did want to send you Henry's win/Novice title photograph, as this honour is partly yours!

Thank you so much!
    Felicia & Henry

What do you think??
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My note to my private instructor... do you think it sounds okay??

Hmmm..... I dunno Felicia, is there any way she would find out that you're still training with Marie?

Your letter kinda makes it sound like you're taking a break from training altogether. if she found out you were still training with Marie (who is even farther away) I think she might be hurt. :-\

Is there any way you could just say something like "I feel like now is a good time to change direction with regard to Henry's training, but I want to thank you for all you've done..........etc."?

As much as it sucks, I think you just have to be honest and hope she takes it well. :-[
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

I think Kate's hit it on the money- you sound like you're going to be playing babysitter for six months and then maybe calling her up...It's very sweet and very polite, but I don't think it makes the break you want it to.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kate and Laura, you guys are right. *sigh*

I suppose there's always a way that she could find out that I'm training with Marie. :-\

I like the change of direction thing. Could I then say maybe that some of my lab/obedience friends are going to start training with Marie and invited me to join them? Or, do I go straight out and say that after a great amount of thought, I've registered Henry in Marie's Novice class to further build on the foundation that she (Private Instructor) gave us? Or that Marie's Novice class fits a little better into our schedule?

Argh.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    I like the change of direction thing. Could I then say maybe that some of my lab/obedience friends are going to start training with Marie and invited me to join them? Or, do I go straight out and say that after a great amount of thought, I've registered Henry in Marie's Novice class to further build on the foundation that she (Private Instructor) gave us? Or that Marie's Novice class fits a little better into our schedule?
    You can say whatever you're comfortable with.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Say, "Remember that Kate girl, the one with "Baloo"? Well.... see.... she has threatened to paint Henry pink if I don't train at Maries with her..." ;D

Hee hee!! Seriously though, I think that you can frame it a couple different ways, "I feel that Companion dog is a better fit for where we are in our training right now, it fits my schedule better, I like the group classes, find them helpful" and so on. That combined with the "change in direction" I think would be good. As long as you say it in a way that is honest, isn't patronizing, and isn't implying that she is "lacking" somehow, I think that's all you can do, really. :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Okay, here's draft #2!

Dear *******

I just wanted to write and say thank you for all you've done for Henry and I! Without the wonderful foundation you've given us and all of your attention and hard work, I doubt that we would have been able to achieve our PCD and CD in such a short amount of time!

We are both excited to be training for Open now, but with my work schedule changing yet again, and it will continue to do so the next few months as we're doing some shuffling at the office (grrr! but more hours for me = portable jump set for Henry!) I don't want to inconvenience you and Wizard and her mom with frequent class changes, nor waste your valuable time!

I was thinking that now might be a good time to change direction with regards to Henry's training anyway. I have the opportunity to take a group Novice class with Marie Sawford, and I feel this will only build upon the foundation that you've started for us.

I did want to send you Henry's win/Novice title photograph, as this honour is as much yours as it is ours!

Thank you so much for everything!

Felicia & Henry

???

brody is offline Senior Member

Lovely - you are giving her credit yet clearly moving on

I have "left" a trainer recently (she has no facility) and am trying hard to be open about what I appreciate and don't appreciate about the interm trainer

I think honestly is important for YOU as burning bridges is pointless and the dog world is AMUCK with politics (which is stupid but there you go!)

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Felicia, I think the second draft if much better. I have a question though. Are you going to talk to her as well as send her a note? I know if I decided to switch trainers, I'd give my current trainer a courtesy of letting her know face-to-face.

Tatyana, I hadn't decided whether to mail the note or to drop it off in person. I think I might drop it off in person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast