Going to an Obedience Trial only on Sunday
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to an Obedience Trial only on Sunday

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultGoing to an Obedience Trial only on Sunday

All of the other trials I've been to have been shows with conformation and agility at a few. This trial is obedience only and I'm looking forward it. They have 4 judges so it should go fairly quickly. Novice A starts at 10:15 and there are 18 entries. What is unusual is that we follow Open A - but I'll enjoy watching Open for sure.

This will be an attempt to get our 2nd leg. We missed class 2 weeks ago and then the fire caused a cancellation to this past Monday's class so I'm a little worried. But I've been working with Moose in the house some and he gets really excited so I'm hoping he will be okay. Hopefully on Saturday we can get outside and do some work. I didn't even walk the dogs today because of the air quality - it is really bad right now, but we should have on shore breezes by tomorrow so hopefully the air will get better. Either way it will be nice to get out and work together. He really seems to like the outings.

The next show I'm signing up for will be in an indoor show - our first. Don't know what to expect - just know it will be very different than what we are used to. It is a really large show - the trials will be Thursday and Friday only because Sat. & Sunday are the top dog invitationals.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Going to an Obedience Trial only on Sunday

Oh have fun! Keep us posted on how you do!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Ooooh, have fun Sharon!! (and good luck!!)

It's nice going to obedience-only trials for a change. I like it. The one we go to in Hamburg NY every September is obedience-only (well, rally too, but no conformation).

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Best of luck!!! I love obedience-only shows as there are no distractions of the smell of females coming in or out of heat.

debjen is offline Senior Member

good luck and have fun

patm is offline Senior Member

Good luck guys - I'll think you'll enjoy the obedience only too. It's funny how some people only show outdoors and others only show indoors. All the shows I've been to have been indoors - don't know how we'd do at a show that was outdoors.

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Interesting. Most of the shows around here are "limited," for lack of a better term- ie, if you don't have a German Shepherd, you can't show in obed. at the German Shepherd Show. There tends to be only one or two multi-breed conformation/obed shows a year.

Anyway, we do most of our showing at obedience only trials and most of the trials here are indoor (the weather here is highly unpredictable). I think you'll like it. Good luck!
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Sometimes a little break before a show is good. It brings the excitement back for the dog. I'm sure you'll do fine.

I like the obedience only shows only because when there are other things going on, I'm tempted to enter those as well. Sometimes it's nice to just sit and watch obedience only rather than running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

Indoors is really different. The mats have little grooves on them that can be very interesting for the dogs. Also, they may have chunks out of them so the floor shows thru...also very interesting. Sometimes they have chalk marks or colored dots on them too...again very interesting. The indoor show we went too had banners flying overhead. I think that's the first time Murray has ever looked up at the ceiling. :

I think the thing that surprised me the most was the mats. When I think "mats" I think something like tumbling mats...you know, something that will give a little cushion for the dogs that are jumping. Nope. Obedience mats are basically very thin strips of rubber not much thicker than a ziplock bag...definitely not cushioning. :
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

The indoor show you are going to at Long Beach was held last year on the second floor in the Ball Room. It has some pretty thick carpet and a layer of plastic sheeting then the rubber mats. Be forewarned it snaps and crackles when you and the dog walk on it! It sounded last year like we were walking on Bubble Wrap! You migth want to do some heeling while actually having someone pop bubble wrap near by. You might also want to get a rubber mat to practice sits and downs on. Maybe a bathtub non-skid type mat?

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Good luck, Sharon! Due to the fires, they have extended the entry deadline for the HDLRC specialty (obedience/rally on Sunday only) as well (you just have to ask Sharon, the show secretary, nicely)... if you're around that weekend (November 11th, I think?) and not going to Top Dog, definitely consider joining us in Palmdale! http://www.specialtyshowservice.com/

Good tips, Kelly! I'll bet the different texture on the ground would make that a very interesting day to watch (or compete) in obedience.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast