Dilemma... dilemma....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dilemma... dilemma....

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDilemma... dilemma....

Okay, so we have both a group instructor and a private instructor that we train with every week.

I LOVE Group Instructor... she is one of the most highly regarded obedience instructors in our province, if not Canada. She has taken 3 of her own dogs to the OTCh level, and is on the way with another, and has had numerous students achieving wonderful things in both obedience and rally. She is also an hour and a half away, but worth every minute of the weekly drive. We're just finishing our first 8-week session with her, and are enrolled in her next session for Novice. I know we have our CD already, but I want to make sure Henry really has a solid foundation in Novice before we start thinking about competing in Open.

We've been Private Instructor since early summer. She's super nice, and while she hasn't taken any dogs of her own (or students as far as I'm aware) past the Novice level, she's a really great instructor. She's primarily clicker based/positive reinforcement, and does mostly family pet classes.

Last week, Private Instructor suggested that we join another student and her dog for classes, I *think* the idea being that it would be good proofing and distraction training. I just assumed the other dog would be at the same level as us, but when we were in class this week, I realized that the other dog is still in the intro to obedience stuff... ie, learning to heel, learning to give attention, recalls from the end of a 6 ft leash etc. There is nothing wrong with this, of course, I am just concerned that we are no longer getting the individualized attention that we were having with private classes (and still paying the same amount of money, though that's not even the issue, really).

The other lady is sooo nice and so excited that we're in class with her.

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings... but my gut is telling me that this isn't going to work out. I liked having private lessons because of the individualized attention, and we already have a group class for proofing and distraction training. Ideally, I'd like to take private lessons with our group instructor, but I digress.

So, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, especially since the obedience community around here is small... I'm likely to run into Private Instructor again at some point. Should I give it a few more classes to see if it works out? Or should I really push to have private lessons? I'm not even 100% sure if I want to continue private lessons with her as I've recently found out that Group Instructor does offer privates.

Thanks, in advance. *sigh*
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dilemma... dilemma....

well paying for a private and gettign a semi is just wrong .. so you need to address that if you are going to continue with it

in terms of proofing it's probably better proofing if the dog isn't as advanced as Henry honestly - but do you want to proof him in your privates or do that in the group?

you could try a private with your group instructor and see what you thought about that before deciding absolutely what you are doing with your private instructor

personally, and this is just me, I like to work with one instructor at a time- and I hate switching instructors
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

kaytris is offline Senior Member

ugh, we're dealing with instructor issues right now too..

I'd ask for a reduced rate for the semi-privates for sure...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I agree - especially if you are still paying private rates. I think you will find that you will get more frustrated with the private instructor (or just find the classes not as helpful for showing) as time goes on. I was taking private lessons (not supposed to be private but basically nobody else came) with a very nice local woman who had shown in the past but not recently active in showing. She was good for beginning stuff, but I knew that I needed to go on to more advanced instruction, and with Emilu I also knew that I needed to get her in with other dogs. I went back to the first lady after about a year, right before we started showing in Rally Excellent and Novice Obedience because I wanted a private lesson concentraing on just the stuff I wanted to concentrate on. It was a little helpful, but Emilu was terrible that night and I'm sure that the instructor thought that we would really crash and burn (must get back to her and let her know that we got first place) I know that it is hard to break with someone that you like, and the dog world IS small, but if you are nice about it and stress that you think you will be able to advance further with the other place and you don't have the time to continue with 2 places I'm sure your first instructor will understand, even though she might be dissapointed.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I'd say something to the pvt instructor unless you think this was a one time deal. Tell her honestly how you feel. Make sure you are both on the same page about your goals. Tell her you aren't interested in semi private or group lessons since you already take group lessons and really want the focused one on one attention of a private...that's what you are paying for after all. Does she know that you take group lessons? If not, that may be why she thought you would be interested in having another person there for distractions.

I will say that you are probably going to outgrow your private instructor pretty quickly so now may be a good time to cut ties. I think it would be very difficult to teach open and utility having never been there before. There are so many little nuances that you don't pick up from just reading the exercise requirements. There are literally hundreds of ways to NQ in utility and ways to interpret the rules (some judges may call an NQ others just a penalty). If you haven't been there, done that, how could you know them all or even most of them. Heck Murray has invented a few of his own where the judge had to go look up certain regs to see exactly how to apply a penalty or nq. Someone who hasn't shown isn't even going to know that they should go look it up.

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

brody is offline Senior Member

tell Murray one of the wisest things I've ever heard (from a judge)

" never NEVER make a judge think- it's bad for them and that's bad for you!"

HAHAHA
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

I agree with Conrad-

I was juggling multiple instructors last spring- one was a more family type instructor and he was very good, but he hadn't shown in years, and then my current instructor (who has multiple OTCHs, MACHs, MHs).

I couldn't do it (law school time schedule and budget)- and I was getting confused (two different methods).

I had a "call and set up your next lesson," kind of deal set up with each instructor- my schedule changes from week to week. I just stopped calling the family instructor to schedule lessons. I still see him from time to time and update him on Gabby and talk about his dogs.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

I'd do the classes. Do you intend to train for open with the clicker? Do you use both of the trainer's methods?

I personally really like group lessons, not only is it good distraction (especially tonight in Mary Lou's puppy class! Poor Roo!) but I don't like to be picked on, and no matter who gives the private lessons, thats always how I feel!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

In my opinion a teacher cannot take a student where they have not gone themself. I agree with the previous post that you will very quickly out-grown the private instructor. She gave you a nice foundation but what more can she give. When you compete at the higher levels you begin to teach in a totally different way. Then when you have campaigned a dog teaching goes to a different level again. I personally could not train with someone who had not gotten an advanced obedience title--UD, UDX or OTCh--just me but you get to this level you find out how important the foundation is to train in a way that is different if you just compete at the Novice level. JMO
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Thank you, everyone...

I think I know deep down I have to leave her (yeesh, I feel like I'm breaking up with her... "It's not you, it's me." :) because she won't be able to take Henry and I where I want us to go. The private lesson-turned semiprivate lesson might be a good way to open the discussion.

I think I'll write her a nice note, saying thank you for giving us such a great foundation and that I know Henry will go far because of it. I think I just might chicken out and say that we're going to be taking a break for a little while (especially with my brother's baby imminent and my work schedule changing (both true)). I'd also like to send her a copy of Henry's Novice title photo, as it is partly "hers".

What do you think??
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast