Mata's Agility debut

Thread: Mata's Agility debut

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultMata's Agility debut

Well, we had a fun weekend. As my luck has seemingly ran lately, Jazz (the same who got bit by the rattler ~6 wks ago right before an obed trial) came into season 2 months later than expected --on Weds afternoon! At least I will get her entry fees back but she was the one who was ready to trial! :'( Mata was entered "just for fun" as she's really a bit green still, but was far enough along that I figured it would be a good experience anyhow, esp since we were on our home turf (Debjen, is that Good or Bad, lol???). More folks to watch us too, huh! Mata was the one to recently finish her CDX at 2.5 yrs old, so she's been a little busy lately.

On Sat, the JWW course was NICE-- it actually flowed! Mata took a look toward some folks on the back side of the ring, and I made the fatal error of saying her name (obed att'n getter!), and a back leg dropped a bar. My fault. The Std course was not a gimme, but we could have done it had she not baled off the teeter early (she was on my right side and just isn't as good on that side yet-- like I said, she is green).

On Sun, several folks thought we had Q'd in JWW--- a very tight, loopy course for the bigger dogs in Novice esp! However, we were called for a wrong course as she had overjumped at one point and probably got her nose too close to the weaves. Oh well. The Std course was a nice course, but again, the teeter was going to be on my right, so that was my main concern... but YEA, we DID IT! Good thing I didn't dremel her nails too short as our contact wasn't all that great. ;D She ended up w/ a 90, good for a 2nd place and her very first agility Q! She had 2 refusals (one run by at the tire that almost all were doing and I think she initially ran by the teeter too). Our times were all pretty darned good. 9 & 5 sec under for the std courses and 4 sec under for one JWW and 1 over for the other JWW, and that was with me running at a rather conservative pace.

We are entered in the PSLRA (lab club) trial just one day in 2 wks. Unfortunately I had to pull Jazz from that also as she won't be out of season yet, so I'm driving over for just one dog. boo hoo. I like to run 2 no matter what venue as I'm sometimes slow on the draw to catch the little bugaboos on courses! Anyhow, I'm pumped to be back after a 3 or 4 yr sabbatical (Mata and Jazzy's mom has her open titles). -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Mata's Agility debut

WOW! Congrats on your first agility Q! That is wonderful!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Great job!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Congrats on getting that first Q under your belt.

You know, it's probably good that Jazz wasn't there so you were able to concentrate all your energy on Mata. It sounds like she's coming along nicely so that extra attention should pay off big.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the Q!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Congrats on getting that first Q under your belt.

You know, it's probably good that Jazz wasn't there so you were able to concentrate all your energy on Mata. It sounds like she's coming along nicely so that extra attention should pay off big.

Actually there is truth to that. As it ends up, there were only 6-7 entered in Nov B 20". I'd have been running my butt off to do 2 girls.... as it was, I started off w/ a pulled thigh muscle thanks to Mata who dragged me up the hill to meet some nice labradors from W. WA first thing that morning. Kids!!! So much for all that advanced obedience training, eh? : The photographer got some nice photos I think, so I'm looking forward to seeing them posted on the net. Mata sure ran alot like her mom! Half brother Strider picked up some more MACH points there too. He's sitting at 9 double Q's and over 400 pts I think. His photo is below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

debjen is offline Senior Member

Congrats...hey when your dog starts running around the ring it doesn't matter if they are local or not..they all get a good giggle from it

Quote Originally Posted by debjen
    Congrats...hey when your dog starts running around the ring it doesn't matter if they are local or not..they all get a good giggle from it
    Hey Deb, I'm more worried about MY actions being giggled at than my dogs! ;D You may not have been around to hear the jokes amongst a couple Puget Sound lab club agility judges a few years ago. (To fill in some blanks to the unsuspecting, I had an accident as a child and wear a prosthetic foot that BROKE... thankfully, during agility practice and not a trial, but word got out...). Well, it was decided on an internet chat list that if Rosa, Mata's/Fuji's/Jazz's mom, could retrieve my broken foot and still complete the course, that these 2 judges would give us EXTRA points (just joking of course!). I'm still reminded of that occasionally, but esp if I'm seen competing anywhere in shorts. Good thing I do have a sense of humor about it all, but since the replacement prosthesis just went into the "can", requiring yet another to be made this fall (I'm still wearing the one that was repaired after the break), I'm a bit nervous w/ this whole debut. :-[ So as Paul Harvey would say, "And now you know.. the rest of the story!". Egads. -Anne

DefaultRe: Mata's Agility debut (photographer's shots)

See Mata in action at her first agility trials last weekend! The 3 photos of the black lab on this link is her: http://critterprintsphotography.smug...5434#212620018

And the 2 on this page: http://critterprintsphotography.smug...5434#212330258

So which are your favorites? Not the one where she's DROOLING, pa-lease! : I think I like the panel jump and the tire shots the best.

-Anne