Our first set of scent articles has arrived!

Thread: Our first set of scent articles has arrived!

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultOur first set of scent articles has arrived!

I wish we got it before our lesson this past Saturday though. Our leather set is tan with black bar. For our second set, I'll get tan leather with tan bar, I think. I also got the bag for the articles from Max200. Numbers start at 1.

Our trainer told me me to get the lowest numbers of metal and leather out and go through "fetch" from hand and off the ground with Scotty for now. It's such a joy to have a properly FF'ed dog. Scotty did great fetching both articles from hand, from ground in front of him and from ground at a distance. We also worked on setting the article a bit far away, turning our backs to it, then practicing the turn and send. We have been practicing the turns for his gloves, so it was not a big deal. And the whole fetching article laying at a distance is not a big deal after the pile and T work that we've been doing.

Our trainer said that she'd do a mini-lesson with us this week if these first parts of articles exercise went well. I am so excited to actually start teaching the scent discrimination part. Scotty should enjoy it since he loved his tracking experience so much.

Oh, for some reason, he's had a fascination with metal since he was a tiny pup and LOVES to have metal in his mouth. So, even the metal article he loved.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Our first set of scent articles has arrived!

Yea! Scenting is so much fun. Make sure you air out the articles before you start using them.

My advice, and a mistake I made, was to teach him hot scenting from the start. Rotate thru each of your articles, don't use just one. For example, today use #1s. When you put them away, put your scent on all of the articles. Tomorrow use #2s. When you put them away, put your scent on all of them.

I reused the same article a lot but I also washed that article. It worked fine but I was always worried during multi day shows (3 & 4 day shows) that Murray would get the wrong article since I didn't have that many extras. With the new set I bought recently, I've switched him to the hot scent. It took a few days for him to get the idea but now he understands and I feel much more confident about multi day shows now. We'll test my theory at the end of the month.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

How exciting! I really like my articles from Max 200!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Scent work is a lot of fun. which program are you going tofollow?
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

which program are you going tofollow?
    I am not sure yet. Just got off the phone with our trainer and we're going to see her briefly tomorrow. She said that we'll try to teach articles without the board and see how Scotty does over the next couple of days. If he needs it, we'll use the board. I do not know what the names of these methods are. ???

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I love doing scent articles. It always impresses people. But honestly, a dog's nose is his keenest sense, so I don't know why it surprises us so much that they can do this scenting stuff

I really like the DeMello method. I didn't want to have to mess with a tie down board. And I haven't had too. ;D