Question about obedience jump height
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about obedience jump height

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about obedience jump height

Emilu jumps 16 inches in Rally (the highest jump they have). I can't figure out what she will jump in Obedience Open - I read the rules and it says something like "nearest 2 inch.....blah, blah, blah......height at whithers.....blah....blah....blah.... you get my drift. If my dogs is 22 inches at the whithers, what will be her high and broad jump distances? Will it matter if she is 22.5 inches? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about obedience jump height

If she is 22 I would jump her 22. If she's 22.5 then you'll have to jump her 24 on the high and then 48 on the broad. The broad is twice the high jump. If she's close to 22 then I think I would keep it at 22. Most judges don't measure anymore. Use to be required that judges measure each dog before going into the ring.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

lcspt is offline Senior Member

From what I was told if your dog is in between jump heights at 1" or less you can jump the lower height. Kona is 23" ......... I jump him at 22" in utility and 24" in open. The reason for the difference is the broad jump ........... Kona has walked twice through the broad jump with 3 boards.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lcspt
    From what I was told if your dog is in between jump heights at 1" or less you can jump the lower height. Kona is 23" ......... I jump him at 22" in utility and 24" in open. The reason for the difference is the broad jump ........... Kona has walked twice through the broad jump with 3 boards.
    Hmmm...I found this interesting. I need to measure Maddy again to see what her height is again. She has been doing 22" in Open and constantly walking through the boards. What do they do if you jump them at the higher height? I bet she'd do the broad jump with 4 boards...

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lcspt
    From what I was told if your dog is in between jump heights at 1" or less you can jump the lower height.
    That is correct. 22.5 is closer to 22 than 24. You don't round up. Now if she was 23 or 23.5 she would need to jump 24. Broadjump is double the high jump distance.

Something else to think about though is that anything under 48" is 3 boards and 44" is 3 boards with 8" between them. Some dogs will walk between the boards. 48" is 4 boards with something like 3.5" space between. Some people will have their dog jump 24/48 to avoid the 3 board scenario.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Some people will have their dog jump 24/48 to avoid the 3 board scenario.
    That would be me!! ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

patm is offline Senior Member

She isn't a very good jumper (enthusiastic, but not good) and I think she would have a lot of difficulty jumping 24 inches - I'm worried about 20.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Then if she's 22 inches just jump 22. There are drills you can teach to help her jumping style. I do a lot with Caleb since he's such a lazy jumper!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I jump Scotty at 22"/44". We use different training tools to prevent walking through the boards (which he tried to do at first). BJ has not been a problem for us in the ring.

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    We use different training tools to prevent walking through the boards (which he tried to do at first).
    I thought I saw you putting down red hot coals between the broad jump boards!!! ;D

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast