Sophie's debut fun match

Thread: Sophie's debut fun match

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultSophie's debut fun match

What a good girl! We had 4 runs in the day - the host had set out some challenging advanced level runs, but after attempting the first one and losing her very quickly, I started making up my own, simpler courses.

First run - We did three obstacles very nicely - but she blew the contact on the aframe as noted, as soon as she saw the 'judge' she took off to mug and leap around like a mad dog - poor Kathryn, pivoted in her chair, covered her face and stared up at the sky - she wouldn't recall, so I whipped around and ran out of the ring, Sophie quickly following me.

Second run - following a simple run, I was able to call her off the judge (although she was still leaping on her)right away and we were able to continue. No trouble with the jumps, but I got lost halfway through, Sophie took off sniffing the ground and we again ended the round.

Third run - again, we were doing a straight ahead run, with two rear crosses - the first threw her off but she was able to correct herself (although a backjump would have NQ'd us...) - she ran towards the judge, but reoriented to me on a voice command. GOOD girl.

Fourth Run - similar to the first course, where the 'judge' was right near the bottom of the aframe. Again, I was able to stop her from running to the judge AND hold her contact - as well as keeping focussed and continuing to the next jump - GOOD GOOD girl. Then we again had a beautiful contact at the bottom of the dogwalk, back through the middle with a successful rear cross, a nice 'get out' to the tunnel, and finish over three jumps . VERY VERY GOOD girl.

I was SO pleased with her focuss - as I expected, judges are going to be her bugbear, but I am so happy with how quickly I was able to get her back into the game.

*edited to replace missing cut and paste... whoopsie! :-[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sophie's debut fun match

That sounds really good!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

brody is offline Senior Member

OK

now that makes sense - I was SO confused you have no idea

what a good girl (that'd be your click and treat) and Sophie showed improvement too so that is awesome

way to go both of you

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Ahhh she's a greeter. That's a tough one to fix but it sounds like she's learning to come back. I know what I've seen done with similar issues is stop the run right then and there. Greeting judges/pole sitters/etc = end of play time.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I did quit the first run, but I don't want to over correct her at this point - she's a very sensitive girl and I could envision blowing the game completely before we even start.... my plan is to really up the reinforcement around the distraction, which worked super in the 3rd and 4th runs.

We'll be doing this in class as well.

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Very good .......... sounds like she is making gains every run!! ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

YAY Sophie!!! Good girl!! She's just too friendly for her own good. ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

patm is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you had a productive time