Lagging
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lagging

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

DefaultLagging

I have a 16 months male old that is going though a stubborn spell. When off leash he will not heel or he is very slow. When he is on leash he is still lagging but not as much. When food is involved he is wright there, take the food away he does not want to work talking to him does not help to get motivated either. I also started agility with him 4 months ago and he will not do the teeter on full height anymore. HELP.
    Alicia

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lagging

Lagging is our problem too. On leash, with peppy talk and some treats she is great, off -leash and she immedieatly drops back (peppy talk helps , but you can't do that in the ring). Watch your body language, if you slow down at all, they will slow down, so keep a brisk pace. Be very careful turing your head to look back at them - this usually puts your shoulder back too, and that will make them drop back even further. Try just a few steps, if he keeps up, treat and praise. I'm still really working on the lagging thing, so hope that others will jump in and give some tips.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I have been working on Caleb's fast since he can lag. First of all I have to make sure my footwork is consistent so that I don't throw my dog off, wide, or back (which is part of what I have been doing). Then, I make a game out of heeling. It's boring, let's face it. The more I can play and make a game the better the attitude is. I'll even go just three steps or so and break him out and play. Soon, it'll be come six and then a whole heeling pattern. This is the most challenging thing in obedience. Whatever you do, make sure you do not slow down to adapt them--speed up. Also, don't put your shoulder back to look for them--that drives them back more. Just a couple ideas.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks I will give it a try. I know its any age thing and his grandpa was really bad about lagging and he is very stubborn even at 12 yrs.
    Alicia

That is one thing I am learning in campaging a dog. The heeling does get so boring but is such an important part. So, how does one keep it interesting? I do lots of different about turns, circles, releases and then set up again, etc. All trying to keep it fun. Going to a seminar in November on how to play with your dog to destress them in the ring and help build attitude in those more difficult ones. Should be interesting!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I don't know if you are familar with Rally but those exercises are great for keeping heeling fun. It's what us old timers called doodling.

For lagging try throwing a treat or toy out in front of you.

Another suggestion is to look into Dawn Jec's Choose to Heel method.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    I don't know if you are familar with Rally but those exercises are great for keeping heeling fun. It's what us old timers called doodling.

Yep, that's where Rally came from. I use a lot of those in my heeling to spice it up!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

I do lots of rally stuff with him as this winter if I can get his mind together he will start rally. Before I go for his CD I want to get his RAE so he he enter the novice B ring he is very happy. I forgot all about doodling. I don't know if all of this is because I'm trying to ween down the treat or any age thing.

Susan what seminar are you going to? The premium list should be up on the QC web page any day.
    Alicia

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Going to a seminar in November on how to play with your dog to destress them in the ring and help build attitude in those more difficult ones. Should be interesting!
    Susan, that sounds awesome!!! Make sure you teach all of us, when you get back!

Laggy... let me tell you all about laggy!! For Henry, I know I have to watch my body language, AND heel at a faster pace. I've also heard to reward him heeling in the right position after a few steps, then throwing a treat ahead? and then calling him back to heel a few more steps etc. Is this to teach him more forward motion?
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    For this, would you have the toy tucked somewhere, begin your heel sequence, get however many good steps of heeling that you wanted, and then free the dog and toss the treat/toy in front? Or how would the sequence go?
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast