Let's talk about dumbbells! :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about dumbbells! :)

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultLet's talk about dumbbells! :)

Now that we're venturing into Open, I need to get Henry a dumbbell!! YAY!

So... plastic? wooden? Should I order two, one for practice, one for shows (that isn't all mouthed up?). Thoughts?

I was looking at the ones on the Max200 website.... pretty!!

Thanks, in advance!!

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Let's talk about dumbbells! :)

Scotty has a plastic DB. We only have one and only use it for training. Scotty did not mouth it at all, so there is no damage. We have a local guy who makes DBs, and that's were we got ours:

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Wow, Felicia, you and I are totally on the same wave lengths. I was just trying to figure out how measure for the dumbbells and how many to order and how to throw them without it going into the utility ring...
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I have both plastic and wooden, although I use only the plastic. I have several sizes for each dog, although some fit better than others. Once you learn to toss the plastic, (it does bounce more unpredictably) then most of the time all goes well. (most of the time I can toss in within a foot or two of where I am aiming by putting a back spin on it).Also, you 'proof' bad tosses in training by making the dog retrieve from under the fence etc.

I prefer a 'beveled' inside (Tatyana's is straight sided), just because it seems to fit my dogs better. This is Hoss' wooden dumbbell with beveled sides:

Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

It's totally the dog's preference. I have several of different types and styles. Murray tended to mouth the wooden DB more. Also, out here the ground is like concrete and I've seen a lot of wooden DBs break when thrown.

The one I use most is a plastic one from J&J and I've been very happy with it. It has the beveled edges sort of like the one Hoss is holding but not as dramatic.

This is the one we use

http://www.jjdog.com/Merchant2/merch...mbbellINVABUPD

A good way to practice throwing your DB is to set up a hula hoop and practice throwing it into the center. I put a back spin on my DB so it usually sticks right were I throw it...no bounces. Now throwing inside is a little different. I still get a little bounce inside. :-\

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone!! I'll have a look at the J&J ones when we get back from our lesson this afternoon.

LOL Laura! I suck at throwing them. It would just be my luck to hurl one and it winds up beaning someone (or somedog). We've been doing some in class, and half the time our private instructor just chuckles, shakes her head and brings it back to me. Oh lah!

Should I get a beveled one and a straight one, in plastic and wood to see which Henry likes better? ???

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I have used both plastic and wooden. Caleb does prefer wooden and I really like the wooden one I got from Max 200. It's made of hardwood so it should not break.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I ordered the dumbbell I have over the phone from MAX200. They were great at helping me pick the right one for Mick.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    It would just be my luck to hurl one and it winds up beaning someone (or somedog).
    Don't worry. It wouldn't be the first (or last) time it happened. At one of the shows last year, the handler couldn't throw to save her life. The first one went straight up in the air and almost bonked her on the head. The 2nd one almost hit the judge. For the 3rd throw, the judge moved FAR away.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I have almost broken the florescent lights hanging on the ceiling!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast