Pissed about Tuckers Intermediate Dog & Handler
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pissed about Tuckers Intermediate Dog & Handler

Tucker. is offline Senior Member

DefaultPissed about Tuckers Intermediate Dog & Handler

Tucker had his first class last night. I showed up only to have Tucker almsot attacked by the dog next to me. I came with a migraine and it didn't get any better because the dog accross the room barked constantly. Numerous times during the class the dog next to us lunged at Tucker, growled and puffed his cheaks. The owner just kept repeating leave it, leave it, leave it a command we were learning that night in class.
    The trainer did not know this person before class as they said they took their basic class somewhere else. We were later tested on what we SHOULD HAVE learned in Basic obedience. The teacher asked the woman to stay after class. Hopefully she told her to go to fiesty fido class.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pissed about Tuckers Intermediate Dog & Handler

Sorry about your experience- but you just found out why I take almost exclusively private lessons. We just added a group class back in designed to get us ready for CDX work.

Is it a commercial establishment or a kennel club?

<br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

The humane society contracts out their obedience classes to a private pet education company. But there is no cost to those dogs that are from the humane society so you see a lot of dogs that came out of the humane society.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry your class was so frustrating. If you're interested in competitive obedience, you should really look for competition classes and/or private instructors. Sounds like your classes are more of a pet obedience classes. I have been doing private lessons exclusively for close to two years now with Scotty and it has worked wonderfully for us (our trainer organizes training days for her students, so we do get to practice in group atmosphere as well).

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

I would agree with Laura and Tatyana... is there a kennel club or obedience club near you? Since deciding to do competitive obedience, we have both private and group lessons.

It's frustrating when a fun class is so aggravating as yours must have been!!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Should I start searching for an obedience club on the akc website?

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Where are you located again?

Here's the AKC link for obedience clubs: http://www.akc.org/clubs/search/inde...bed&display=on

and here is a listing from Front & Finish: http://frontandfinish.com/clubschool.cfm

Good luck!!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

I am located in Central Connecticut. I just emailed someone from the Farmington River Valley Kennel Club.

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Also you might wwant to go to local obedience shows and watch people and dogs and find out where they train at or who they train with. You can find the local shows by going to AKC.org and looking in their events section. Every AKC event is on their website, even matches.

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

patm is offline Senior Member

I can sympathize - it was very difficult for me to even find a training club within driving distance (1.75 hrs away) and I put up with a year of off and on frustration (learned a lot too). Next time, at least don't stay near a dog that is doing that to your dog. Your dog shouldn't have to put up with that. Just move away. Do you think she went over the basic stuff just to see where everyone was at? Kinda like the first day or 2 at school when it starts for the new year? Hope things get a little better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast