you know the cool thing about Lab people...

Thread: you know the cool thing about Lab people...

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Defaultyou know the cool thing about Lab people...

is how friendly they are at trials.

At least around here, there's a pretty big clique of women who have been doing this forever. They're not mean to new people, but they're not friendly either. When they're not showing, they're sitting together in a tight circle, critiquing everyone's rounds.

Around here, there are very few Labs that show in obedience or rally. There were three yesterday out of 120 dogs- Gabby, one in Utility, and one in Open. So when another Lab person sees you, they come over, introduce themselves, etc, tell you how happy they were with their dog's enthusiasm in the ring (even though he swiped the dumbbell from the judge), tell you how pretty your dog is.

It really was so nice and very welcoming for a new person.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: you know the cool thing about Lab people...

Oh not us, we are hideously unfriendly, have a four foot perimeter blocked off so that no one can approach our dogs and have been known to snap at passersby if they brush up against our bags... And don't touch my dog when she's in 'the zone' (that'd be lying on the floor belly up dancing...

Its true. Lab people are so super friendly, just like their dogs!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

LOL, I could HEAR the giggles from the Lab exhibitor gallery while I was in the open ring at LRC w/ both my girls. I seriously doubted that they were "critiquing" us too harshly and I just refuse to take the whole competition thing in obed that personally as I love having a happy yet consistent dog in the ring (esp after trying to deal w/ ring meltdown w/ one sitting at 2 open Qs...). Afterward, everyone was allowing Mata to give big hugs which made her *very* happy! Fuji is always more polite, but even she was eating up the attention! Some of the seriousness out here is more likely to happen at the bigger all breed shows.

I have come to feel sorry for the folks so stuck on the perfect performance that they only enter at indoor (sterile) shows, and apparently can't see the real reason for obed. To me, the goal is being able to take my dogs (as a pack) on long offlead walks and have everyone come when called, even if on a bunny or bird pursuit and in general, just be reliable. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

LOL Melissa!!

You should have seen the pylons she set up around Roo's crate yesterday! hahahahaha.

I LOVE lab peeps... I met the nicest NICEST lady with a chocolate lab this morning in Novice A (his name was Dax!)... her very first lab was a yellow girl and she has a soft spot for yellows... she was telling me this as she stroked Henery over and over. Then Henery and Dax were good boys and laid down nicenice for the down/stay... I wish I had a camera (is it bad to bring a camera into the ring??)... they were both rolled onto the same hip, one arm completely on the floor, the other elbow on the floor, and paw regally draped over the other paw. I so wish I had a camera!!

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

For the most part so true! Have met a few who were not the most friendly in both obedience and breed, but for the most part good people, like their dogs!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

So far I'm finding that all the people I meet at shows and such are super friendly, but the lab owners that live around here are brutal. Maybe it's me..? ;D

I loved Ruby's belly dance Melissa, how can you not rub that belly when she does that!!

Although I did see some peeps yesterday that were not so nice (like the weim obedience nazi lady :-[) they did not have labs.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

All of us Labby people set up together at a show. It's probably pretty intimidating to passers by.

I'd say the majority of people at dog shows are pretty friendly. There always seems to be one bad apple everywhere but for the most part people are nice.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I agree. Always the lab folks come and speak with me, while normally the BC folks ignore me. I don't care

And I so agree about feeling a bit sorry for people that are so intent on getting the perfect score they forget to have fun with their dogs. For me it is fun first. I have never cared about a perfect score. It's about the adventure and the memories that come with it. The titles and scores are just extras along the way.