Anyone heard of Canine Performance Events trials?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of Canine Performance Events trials?

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone heard of Canine Performance Events trials?

CPE is having an agility trial at Murrell's Inlet (about 2 hours drive) in November. I looked on their website and it seems to be a legit club, but their shows are few and far between. Wondering if anyone has competed with them.

I have an agility seminar that weekend or I'd haul up there and run my dogs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anyone heard of Canine Performance Events trials?

I've got friends that run both AAC and CPE - CPE has more graduated levels than AAC (5 to AAC's 3), different games, and a slightly different atmosphere. CPE is 'easier' at level one in that the courses are generally more straightforward, but obstacle discrimination is paramount at all levels.

I'll alert a friend to this post who can add more....

brody is offline Senior Member

Good summary Kaytris - thanks

to add to that (with the experience of 4 days of CPE trials under my belt- HAHA)

CPE level one is very straightforward in many ways - no weaves, no teeter - often the standard course is figure eight shape or thereabouts

level two adds both teeter and weaves at the standard level

the games are GREAT and I am hooked:

snooker same rules as aac
    jackpot (basically gamblers class tho non traditional classes happen too)
    full house: you must do three of a kind, two of a kind and one of a kind - then add more points to your run depending on level
    colours (oops Colors - CPE is american) you choose which course of two you want to run
    jumpers normal fast run over jumps with no contacts
    wildcard - you choose at three spots which obstacle you want to do - making adjustments for your dogs changes in plans as you have to do a certain number of a or b obstacles depending on level.

One neat thing is that for many of the games the dogs can run together - all levels - so you get really inspired watching the other dogs.

You can start at level one, two or three depending on where you think you are at. After watching trials Brody certainly could have started at level three but I didn't know the games and had dogs just starting as well so chose to start him in level one - I'm pleased with that choice!

feel free to fire questions at me

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It looks fun (been reading their website).

Can you earn titles in one weekend?

Since the shows are limited in my area, I'd hate to go to just one of them a year, it would take forever to get titles (and face it, don't we show to get titles

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

CPE is a very fun event. They never seem to have that stern serious feel of AKC. Level 1 is like a pre-novice AKC.
    you can do things like train in the ring and there aren't any refusals. You can also start at any level 1,2, or 3. Some of the Games are short and simple, but do get more chalenging in the higher levels. You can have 5 runs a day, and they usuall offer 7 different courses/games a day so if there is something you don't want to play you don't have to.
    CPE is too me what Agility should be People having fun with their dogs. All the agility obstacles are the same as AKC, though the A-frame might be lower? and the dog walk might be shorter and lower, or full size. Teeters and weaves won't be in level one.

Kelly
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

You can get lower level titles in one weekend but as you go up in levels it requires more Q's. People don't seem overly concerned about titles in CPE, its not like AKC or USDAA

Kelly
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

there are refusals but you can get a q with a refusal or two depending at the level

you actually can't train in the ring (for example you cannot redo a contact) but the judges are very forgiving and if something goes wrong they are fine with you explaining what you are doing then doing it
    they also allow you to run on leash FEO if need be - very sweet for my super charged Sally

yes you can title quickly as basically the titles are broken down - Brody had all his various level one titles after he ran 8 classes - as you go up you need more legs to title

Brody also qualified for the CPE nationals in his 4 days of trialling - which I think is pretty sweet

cheers

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

I think I'm going to contact the folks holding the show and see how to enter. I can go Friday and maybe Saturday as well. I know it will be wonderful for Magnum. She loves doing this but is limited because I won't run her hard since her ACL surgery.

depending on how popular CPE is in your neck of the woods some CPE trials allow day of show entries

I did double check and I can't find anything in the rules about Refusals and or Runouts being a penalty. You can also knock a bar down and still Q in most levels. The only odd ball rule is that you cannot block your dogs path or the judges view of your dog on purpose. So if your dog knocks a bar don't stop!! You have more course time than in AKC. If your dog is acting up ask them to bring your leash to you and then you can ask the judge to let you take your dog over a few jumps. I should rephrase my coment about training in the ring. You can train in the ring but you can't Q if you do. Judges will let you redo some things if you ask, but you won't Q. You can't bring toys or food or clickers into the ring, but if you do the judge may allow you to finish the course or may not allow you to run, its the judges discretion.

Kelly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast