Jazz and agility

Thread: Jazz and agility

labnpug is offline Senior Member

DefaultJazz and agility

Jazz (Caleb's sister) competed in Novice agility this weekend. We have been stuck at 2 legs for a year now.....sigh.....(in AKC, we have finished some titles in NADAC). She is one fast little girl, gives the BC's a run for their money but unfortunately acts like one in other ways (self-control issues) as well. I love running her but it can be a bit frustrating. Yesterday's JWW run was awesome but we had a wrong course --I handled her from a huge distance and was even able to layer a sequence, something I didn't see anyone else do yet today she crashed through the first 5 jumps and I had to pull her. Below is a photo of her jumping correctly yesterday in the JWW ring.

After the trial today one of the judges talked to me about her. She had called after us in the standard ring telling me she loved my dog and to keep working with her as we exited the ring. She told me that I had an awesome dog but I basically had a border collie and had to learn new ways of handling. She said I had to take her off my "invisible leash" as I was trying too hard to control her which is frustrating us both. She has had goldens and now has a BC and said she had to learn a different way of handling when she got her BC. She told me this dog can take me places once we get it together but I still have a lot of work ahead of me. Kind of frustrating when I see people at their first or second trial breezing their way to a leg but she said she should earn a MACH and she offered to give us some private lessons. (Susan, this sounds like Caleb's story but in agility!) She is at least 90 miles from me but I may give it a try. I don't want to hurt the feelings of my current instructor as I really like her, I think she is very good (she has goldens and a portie) and she has helped me a lot with Cori (who is running in excellent since I started lessons with her) and Jazz. How do you think I should handle this? I would still like to keep going to the Friday a.m. classes we currently go to and maybe just try a private with this other person and see how it goes. Should I tell her once I take a lesson or keep my mouth shut???
    Deb H.
    www.dunnsmarshlabs.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    <br />Cori and Lily (my angel pug)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Jazz and agility

Pretty girl and look at that smile!

Sometimes, certain trainer's methods don't work for certain dogs (boy oh boy are we that 'certain dog') and it takes a 'Big' trainer to acknowledge (sp?) that. I am sure your current trainer knows where you are stuck, and I wouldn't be insulted in the least if you looked and trained elsewhere for help.

Best of luck! Keep us posted!

debjen is offline Senior Member

boy she looks like fun..I see no reason why you can't continue with your current instructor but do some private lessons with the new instructor..I am doing a private lesson with Barb Davis next week..but still take our weekly classes..consider it like going to a seminar or anything else you might do in addition to your regular classes...if your current instructor really wants you to be your best she shouldn't worry about you taking other classes...in the end you have to do what is best for you and your dog and take a combination of your current teacher and the new teacher to make the best of you and your dog.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Deb I would definately do some privates. People actually fly in to take privates with my instructor! I also know of people in my class who drive about two hours each week for classes with Mike and Linda. Go for it! We know we have something special in Jazz and Caleb and we owe it to them and to the Labrador breed. It isn't often that "breed" dogs do as well in obedience and the potential of agility as what our Labs are doing.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I don't think any professional would have an issue w/ someone taking classes from different people. I feel like the more the merrier. Get a tidbit here, another there, and after awhile you've got an arsenol of info!

I've got 4 generations here and they all have their nuances... if only *I* can keep all the info straight, I'd be a much better handler! (Debjen can vouch for that... heck, I have even been known to take the wrong DOG to class as I have a couple sets of twins that play tricks on me occasionally). :-[

go for it. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Deb, I do even encourage my competition students to take privates from different people. We each see things differently and one never knows what will be the key that will turn the lock to help one go up to that next level.

PS
    Did you get my phone message?
    Susan

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I'd just tell her and be honest about it.

My students often go to other local trainers. It doesn't bother me. Our area is small so there's not a lot of choices, and I myself have gone to different instructors.

I'd rather someone go and seek out varied ways to run. I always tell my people there is no "one" way to do agility and that you have to do it the way that will work for your dog.

Sounds like Jazz is awesome. I can't imagine having that kind of speed.

Quote Originally Posted by raian

Sounds like Jazz is awesome.
    Of course she is--she's Calebs sister!!! LOL!!!
    Susan

www.labmed.org