Another obedience newbie question...

Thread: Another obedience newbie question...

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnother obedience newbie question...

... didn't want to hijack Susan's thread on Caleb (WE LOVE YOU CALEB!!!! *madly waving big foam #1* )

OTCh. means you've titled in Novice, Open and Utility, right?

Is an AKC UDX the same as a CKC OTCh.X? (qualify in both Open and Utility class in the same trial 5 times)

Where do points come in? Are these points different from the points you get when you're campaigning (I think that's the word) your dog to be top obedience dog?? ???

Thanks!!

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Another obedience newbie question...

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom

Yes plus you have 100 pts, a first in Open B with 6 dogs competing, a first in Utility B with 3 dogs competing, one more first from either Open B or Utility B with the applicable # of dogs competing, and all 3 firsts under different judges. Only 1 first can be from a specialty show.

Is an AKC UDX the same as a CKC OTCh.X? (qualify in both Open and Utility class in the same trial 5 times)
    yes but AKC is 10 times.

Where do points come in? Are these points different from the points you get when you're campaigning (I think that's the word) your dog to be top obedience dog?? ???
    They are the same points. Every time you show your dog you receive points for 1) your score and 2) the number of dogs you defeat. Front and Finish publishes these numbers. AKC only tracks these points for dogs defeated for those dogs competing in Open B and Utility B (no other classes). This is category where the 100 pts come from. Unfortunately it isn't a 1:1 ratio. 100 pts doesn't mean you defeated 100 dogs. First you have to have a certain number of dogs competing (minimum is 6-10 in Open B and 3-4 in Utility B ). For example, if you only have 5 in Open B, you get zippo. With minimum # of dogs competing, you have to take first place to receive 2 pt. Second place gets nothing. With larger classes, 2nd and 3rd and sometimes even 4th can get a pt or two.

In conformation dogs get points based on the number of dogs competing as well as the area of the country they are in since some breeds are more prevelant in certain areas of the country. Obedience doesn't get that break though so if you are in say Idaho where the obedience #s are low, you will have to travel in order to get enough OTCH points to finish. This is why getting an OTCH is so expensive.

If you look at the OTCH pts for the dogs traveling to say Crufts. You will see that they have 1000+ lifetime pts or something like that. It means they have their OTCH 10 times. Pretty impressive, eh?

FYI, all of this info is in the AKC obedience regulations on pg 49-50 Chp 6 and they are available to view on line.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Thanks!!

OTch is the Obedience Trial Champion title. You can earn it after you have earned a UD. You compete in the Open B and/ or Utilty B classes to earn the points (need 100 points). You earn points by your placements in those classes (more earned in utiltiy vs open) by the number of dogs you beat that day. The AKC rule book has a table in it about OTch points. You can find it at the AKC web site also.

You also but have a first place in each of those classes and one other first in either class. Only one first place may be earned at a specialty. You can earn an OTch before you have a UDX if you do well at large shows.

Now to add to the confusion there are Front and Finish awards along with Delany points ........... I'll leave that to someone else to explain because I don't know the rules for those two.

"In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I see Lydia and I answered close to the same time. ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

I was told you could actually earn an OTCH before completing any Utility title- ???

<br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    I was told you could actually earn an OTCH before completing any Utility title- ???

No, you can earn an OTCH without completing a UDX but you can't even start competing for an OTCH until you have a UD.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

You'll find that on page 40 in the AKC rule book.

Linda, Kona and Bo

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Felicia, but in Canada when a dog finishes their UD they automatically have an OTCh. I think they now have a Master OTCh or something like that which is equivalent. They also have something that is equivalent to the UDX now, too.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

I think the CKC OTChX = AKC UDX and the CKC MOTCh = AKC OTCh? ???
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

That sounds about right Felicia.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org