Obedience Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obedience Question

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

DefaultObedience Question

Ok, this is probably going to sound stupid, but is there a difference between Novice A and Novice B classes? Or is it similiar to HTs where the stake might be split after a number of entries (i.e. Master with 60 entries goes to Master A and Master B with 30 entries each at the discretion of the club)?
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Obedience Question

Novice B is for people who have trained and handled dogs to obedience titles before....Novice A is for Novice dogs with handlers who have never handled a dog to an obedience title.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

Quote Originally Posted by ZRL
    Novice B is for people who have trained and handled dogs to obedience titles before....Novice A is for Novice dogs with handlers who have never handled a dog to an obedience title.
    Thanks!

So, Novice B is for those going for CDX and Novice A is for CD? Or have I made the wrong connections?
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors

In Loving Memory:

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Yep, you only get one novice a dog.

But it gets really confusing when try to figure out when you should enter A or B in Rally- then it seems to be whether the DOG has a title, not the handler.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLady101

So, Novice B is for those going for CDX and Novice A is for CD? Or have I made the wrong connections?
    No, Novice B is for people that are attempting put a CD on their current dog but have previously gotten a CD on another dog (could be one they currently own or deceased).

Novice A is for Newbies. Brand new people to the sport of obedience. So if you have never gotten an obedience title on your dog or any other dog and you are attempting to get a CD, then you will enter Novice A.

To get a CDX, those classes are called Open.

http://www.akc.org/events/obedience/getting_started.cfm

This link has a general description of all levels, plus a link to all rules and regs.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    Yep, you only get one novice a dog.

But it gets really confusing when try to figure out when you should enter A or B in Rally- then it seems to be whether the DOG has a title, not the handler.

No, Novice B is for people that are attempting put a CD on their current dog but have previously gotten a CD on another dog (could be one they currently own or deceased).

Novice A is for Newbies. Brand new people to the sport of obedience. So if you have never gotten an obedience title on your dog or any other dog and you are attempting to get a CD, then you will enter Novice A.

To get a CDX, those classes are called Open.

http://www.akc.org/events/obedience/getting_started.cfm

This link has a general description of all levels, plus a link to all rules and regs.
    Thanks, got it! Yes, I imagine that could get pretty confusing.

I'm trying to decide if I'd like to attempt to get a CD on Blue. She seems to be pretty proficient on most of the requirements but would still need some work to perfect a few, and it would be new waters for the both of us as we've only done field work. So, it would be a challenge, but I think it might be fun also.

What's everyone's experience with Obedience- as a whole, yea or nay?
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors

In Loving Memory:

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Well...you're asking this in the obedience section...so you're not going to get a whole lot of negative responses.

I do Rally, Obedience, and Tracking with Gabby- in addition to some hunt work. It does become very addicting. You rarely get "just a CD".
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

patm is offline Senior Member

Well - you ARE in the Obedience/Tracking section, so on the whole, we like it! Although there are those days (and weeks) where we groan about our dogs (and sometimes ourselves) hopefully we all like it or we wouldnt' be here I started showing in Rally after training in obdedience for a year, but didn't feel quite ready for the obedience ring. I am now showing Emilu in Rally and Obedience. I can only speak for myself, but I really like it, and I love going to dog shows and watching other dogs perform too. It has certainly made Emilu a better dog, and bonded us together. I am also starting to train Skippy because he doen'st like being left out of the fun. Classes have been somewhat of a trial for me, because the closest thing that fit our needs is over 1.5 hours away, and I had a wicked instructor the first year - but again, stuck it out and learned a lot - so I either like it , or am a complete masochist (probably a little of both)

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom

Well...you're asking this in the obedience section...so you're not going to get a whole lot of negative responses.

I do Rally, Obedience, and Tracking with Gabby- in addition to some hunt work. It does become very addicting. You rarely get "just a CD".
    You're probably right about the "rarely getting just a CD". But, that's what I'll tell my DH, lol! ;D
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors

In Loving Memory:

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I love obedience. I think it has the best of both worlds of HT and FT to some extent. Like HT, you need to qualify to get a title. So, as long as you meet the standard, you get a leg. So, those who do not care about high scores, ranking, etc. can successfully compete. It also has the competitive aspects of FTs since there are placements and working towards perfection pays off in terms of blue ribbons, rankings, trophies, etc. So, I think obedience is a very versatile venue for many types of dogs and owners.

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    Well - you ARE in the Obedience/Tracking section, so on the whole, we like it! Although there are those days (and weeks) where we groan about our dogs (and sometimes ourselves) hopefully we all like it or we wouldnt' be here I started showing in Rally after training in obdedience for a year, but didn't feel quite ready for the obedience ring. I am now showing Emilu in Rally and Obedience. I can only speak for myself, but I really like it, and I love going to dog shows and watching other dogs perform too. It has certainly made Emilu a better dog, and bonded us together. I am also starting to train Skippy because he doen'st like being left out of the fun. Classes have been somewhat of a trial for me, because the closest thing that fit our needs is over 1.5 hours away, and I had a wicked instructor the first year - but again, stuck it out and learned a lot - so I either like it , or am a complete masochist (probably a little of both)
    I'm completely familiar with "those days", we get them in the field too- actually, more of those than not. LOL

Anyway, I think I will sign up for class and go from there. It does sound like fun! ;D
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors

In Loving Memory:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast