A Gripe

Thread: A Gripe

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultA Gripe

I don't usually do this, but this really got to me and ruined an otherwise perfect day at the show yesterday.

Lining up to go into the Pre-Novice ring for sits and downs, the woman in catalog order in front of me made it a big point to barge in front of me (it was crowded and a lot of us were in line). We go into the ring and line up. I'm setting up my pup and the next thing I know the judge tells me "You can't have that much room, move over." Well I looked to my left and sure enough this woman had moved her dog way over from me so there was an "extra" space between us. I moved my pup over.

After the class, standing outside of the ring waiting for the results, I was standing with my puppy next to her and my puppy gave a casual sniff, didn't even touch her dog mind you, and the girl she was sitting with made a motion for me to pull my pup away, which I did.

I'm talking with my mom and the next thing I know this woman gets in my face and says, "I'm only going to tell you one more time to get your dog away from mine!"

My dog wasn't near her dog.

I was so flabbergasted... and upset, that I didn't even wait for the results of the class. I left.

Driving home I wish I had gotten back in her face. It was totally uncalled for and I'm still wondering what in the heck her problem was. Honestly, my pup was NOT bothering her dog. I am very careful with that as I sure as heck don't want my pups first show experience to have any negative things in it.

What would you have done???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A Gripe

Ingored her and gotten my results. They're out there. Unfortunately rude people are everywhere. I try to play duck--let it roll of my back
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

In a very soft, soothing, Godfather style voice tell her "Back off or I call Don Vito and he doesn't like rudeness". I believe you should at least make a calm response indicating that you would like them to not be so rude. And stick around. If you did anything wrong you will learn from it, and if you did it right it you will get satisfaction from a job well done.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I don't tolerate rudeness from anyone and will usually respond back with some smart @$$ comment although occasionally someone catches me so off guard that I'm stunned into silence. I've even gotten into it with one particular steward when I was in Novice A (her reputation is so well known it was even written about in a well known dog world book) and made sure to put her in her place. She's been very nice to me ever since.

Honestly, I wouldn't give this incidence another thought. It really isn't worth the time or effort. I'm thinking it is was her dog that probably had the issue and like so many people out there, she worries about all the dogs that "attack little Fifi" not realizing that little Fifi is the instigator.

I just think she, for some reason, singled us out. Her dog was a Suluki I believe, and he was intact. I'm going to find out who she is, and I will let her know that if her dog has a behavioral problem maybe SHE should keep her dog away from other dogs, not vis-a-versa.

My problem is that when things like this happen, I'm usually so stunned, or even hurt, that I can't respond. I need to take a class in come backs so I can respond faster

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I don't think I would have left, but I definately would have moved away. Some rude comments are just not worth the time it takes to give a response and generally others notice the behaviour as well.

Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Linda - Was the Saluki babe from Ohio? I had a run in with a Saluki babe at a show in Lorain (OH) last summer although it was really her partner who was the pain. Was sure the judge had switched the score of my dog and his dog in Rally because I guess he was stunned he only got 70 something. Anyway - Susan and the calm responders are far smarter than I am because I have come to a point in my life where I am unwilling to tolerate idiots, and therefore I respond fairly strongly when someone is acting like the woman you describe. And too often what happens is what you did - the innocent party removes themselves when they are not the cause of the commotion. Somewhere karma will catch up with this person in a big way. B
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

This was a fun match. I'm sure nobody came from as far away as Ohio

I did find out she's in the local kennel club. Not in our Obedience club. If she had been a new member of our Obedience club, I did intend to say something to her about her behaviour. But since she's not... it's water under the bridge now. I will keep my eye out for her at future shows. I hope she has no intention of showing her dog in Novice when I'm showing Remington.

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

I didn't really think so but maybe its the Saluki mentality. She babe in Ohio seemed to want everyone to know how hard it is for a sighthound to do Rally outside. The judge wasn't buying it and that seemed to put her in a less than pleasant mood. B
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon