Pottying at Dog Shows.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pottying at Dog Shows.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultPottying at Dog Shows.

Anyone have this issue.

Remington would not go potty, all day long, at the show. I was getting worried he'd either forget and go in the building (or worse, in the ring), or that he'd end up making himself sick.

He wouldn't even pee.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pottying at Dog Shows.

Emilu doesn't go very much at shows either. I try to get her to go at least once before we show - taking her outside where all the other dogs pee usually helps. She like to mark over where other dogs pee. Remington might be a little young for that yet. Can you try to teach him a "potty" command? My first lab could pee on command.

debjen is offline Senior Member

The last trial I went to I took all 3 dogs .. 1st time Cedar has been on a trip..I swear he held it for over 15 hours one day..he would not go at the hotel at all and would wait til we got to the fair grounds..by the 3rd day he was going at the hotel too..but I found I had to walk him without the other 2 at first and give him his own time..if I walked him with someone else he was too busy or nervous .. I think it's a comfort level thing with him..he also likes to mark over his brother so I tried to let him sniff in the same area..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I had to teach Tobie to go potty on a leash. With my fenced in backyard I never thought about the day when I would be away from home and he would have to go. So, that is why I will walk my young dogs so they learn they can go potty when on lead. Linda, with your fenced in area, that might be part of the problem. Also, as he matures, those hormones will kick in and he'll learn to go where he has smelled all those other dogs have gone and want to leave his mark?
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

All good advice. Murray and Essy potty on command. It's funny when I tell them to potty and they really don't need to go. They will both still squat and look at me like "mom, I told you I don't need to go." ;D

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I do walk him on leash everyday, down to the field, and generally he will pee and poop on the leash. I think everything just must've had him excited. But I really worried that he hadn't peed all day. But he survived. I guess he will eventually start peeing over other dog pee spots.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

You know Linda, you might miss the days of him not peeing at a show! That might be his passion in life--to pee where no dog has peed before and even where they have!!! LOL!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    I had to teach Tobie to go potty on a leash. With my fenced in backyard I never thought about the day when I would be away from home and he would have to go.
    Susan, funny you say that. I fostered a dog that used to have fenced in yard and he would not p**p on the leash. I had to take him to a dog beach, and he would hide himself behind the bushes and do his business. Chocolata is great, she has the "Chicago drill" practiced very well and especially when it is sooo cold she does very fast what she has to on the leash and we can go back inside.

Mine are on command for that, and its funny, if they don't have to 'go' they pretend LOL for their treat!

Amber spent alot of time with me at work (I drive) So she quickly became accustomed to the 3 minute drill. She had 3 minutes to go untill the next stop. I stopped about every two hours when she was a pup with me, always on a short leash sometimes on a busy highway (safely off to the side). She was in a small crate in the truck for safety. Now when we go to shows or to train somewhere the first thing she does is go as soon as we get out of the SUV. Also she will go if she has been in the crate for a while and I let her out such as at a dog show. I don't exactly have a comand as much as a routine.

Kelly and Amber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast