Ruger's Utility Runs Today

Thread: Ruger's Utility Runs Today

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRuger's Utility Runs Today

I signed Ruger up for Utility B and Utility A at our fun match.

Utility B went first, and boy oh boy, he did NOTHING right. It was horrible.

Then we did Utility A and he had a pretty decent run. We NQ'd in the heeling because he started to lag and I snatched him for it (I'm talking lag as in half way back across the ring... I went back and got him and gave his collar a good snatch). He did the signals perfectly.

Scent Article #1, we lost 1 point.
    Scent Article #2, we lost 2 1/2 points (he went past the article pile to gaze over into the Rally ring)
    Gloves, we lost 1 1/2 point (sloppy front)
    Moving Stand, we lost 1 point, (again, sloppy front).
    Directed jumping... he wouldn't go out, so I went and helped him both times. He did the actual directed jumping part fine.

Sigh... I just don't know when this will ever work.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ruger's Utility Runs Today

You know Linda, I thought the same thing with Caleb, especially with his go-outs. And then it began to come together. I had considered retiring him and getting another puppy. But, I didn't--I hung in there. Having him in Open B and Rally really did help Caleb's confidence. I can't wait until we get to spend time together.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

That UA doesn't sound too bad at all. Utility takes time...lots of it. Just take the successes one at a time. In this case, he did the articles and I know that's something you've really been working on. Don't focus on the entire run or you'll drive yourself crazy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

It is so hard not to get frustrated when he does all of this at home
    I'm just lost in the ring. I don't know how to get his excitement level up, or how to correct him. Or why he's doing what he's doing. Worst part is training alone.

Sigh. And double Sigh.

I'm not going to give up.... we'll just keep at it and hope it comes together before he's too old to compete

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I'm just lost in the ring. I don't know how to get his excitement level up, or how to correct him. Or why he's doing what he's doing. Worst part is training alone.

Yes, the disadvantage of training alone! I have worked on little games with Caleb that I can take in the ring. He is just starting to do some of them in the Utility ring. That is still so stressful for him, but he'll get it. I have to keep my attitude up in the ring and not blow it for him when he's all ready stressed.

I think we'll have fun just us working when I'm down there!!!!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Yes we could all have OTCH dogs if we could just get the judges to come to our house. Utility, more than any other class, requires the dog to have a high level of confidence. This confidence only comes from experience. Even though the dog knows the exercises, can he do them with lots of distractions? I've been having this exact conversation with one of my training buddies. Her dog can do the Utility exercises in her sleep (been doing them for 2 yrs) but she can't handle the simplest of distractions without shutting down. The handler insists that everyone be very quiet, no one is allowed to play with their dog near where they are working, no one works in the ring next to them, she must train first when it's cool because the dog doesn't like to work in the heat, etc. The other day, I purposely clapped my hands when her dog was working articles and she completely stopped working. The other person acting as judge told her to correct her dog but she refused. She said she wouldn't correct her when there were so many distractions going on. : Oh well, at least I tried.