I just love my training classes

Thread: I just love my training classes

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultI just love my training classes

I just have to share what a wonderful trainer I have and how glad I am on finding these classes I've been taking. The class is called Comp. Prep so it covers the gamet of rally and obedience. The instructor competes with her Keeshounds in both conformation and obedience. I have learned so much over the last 3-4 months since I started taking these classes from this particular instructor. The only duplication of things we do every week are the heeling patterns and even those change from week to week. She includes things like stand and leave your dog or stand and walk around etc.

Every week Tawn brings in another facet of things to consider for prep and is always thinking of ways to expose our dogs to things we will encounter in the ring. All of the training exericses are such that they build on something needed for the future and she shares how it all ties together. We've worked on down from the recall, heeling thru distractions, jumps, etc.

Last night we worked on entering the ring. She had mock rings setup and then had someone act as steward and another act as judge just to work on the dogs that have issues entering a ring with people so close.

Next week we are working on reinforcing the recalls with both verbal and commands. Even if I didn't enter the ring again it wouldn't matter because the classes are so much fun and even Moose is exhausted and happy afterwords!
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I just love my training classes

Awesome! That sounds like a great class.

Quote Originally Posted by dakkerdog

Last night we worked on entering the ring. She had mock rings setup and then had someone act as steward and another act as judge just to work on the dogs that have issues entering a ring with people so close.
    I think this is the step that most people forget when proofing. How to get in/out of the ring, move from exercise to exercise, have a stranger following them (judge), have a stranger approaching them (judge or steward), etc. I'm happy to hear that you've found an instructor who covers the "little" things that often end up being the biggest "gotchas"

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I just love my training classes

Sounds like a great class and a good instructor. And you are correct. Finding a good instructor is very hard. I really stress to people that if they want to compete, they need to find an instructor that competes, or get with a club that competes. Pet Store Obedience just doesn't cut it

Continued good luck on your training!