"B" matches

Thread: "B" matches

patm is offline Senior Member

Default"B" matches

What is a "B" match? Is it like a fun match? I have a chance to enter Emilu in an AKC Sanctioned B match in August. I was thinking it was like a fun match and we could do it for practice in obedience. Am I right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: "B" matches

I thought those referred to conformation matches for clubs trying to get some AKC status. I am not sure though.

B matches are sanctioned matches. This is what a club uses to meet their match requirements (clubs have to put on so many matches per year), to gain AKC club status, and to work out any kinks in running a show. The judges used are usually those trying to get their judging license (need to judge a certain # of matches as part of the requirements). They are more strict than a "fun" match because they are run just like a show. No food/treats etc in the ring. They are not my favorite but they serve their purpose.

For me, I use matches to see where we are and what we need to work on. I want to be able to help my dog if necessary. You can't always do that with a sanctioned match so it's a risk you take when entering.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hmmmmm - looks like I'll contact the club and see what they say. Here's the address to the webpage - sounds like a fun time with all that will be going on.

http://www.magicvalleykennelclub.com...s/Page1147.htm

Anytime you see the words "sanctioned" it means "not fun" Not really but close. Sanctioned means its sanctioned by AKC and will be run under the rules of the AKC. There is nothing wrong with these types of matches as long as you understand that these will be run just like a dog show. If you are getting ready for a show and just want the extra practice, they are perfect. If you are still not ready to show and just want to work on a few things in a different env, they are not the best option.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I have done a few B matches. The judges have been much more flexible. When I did it with Ruger for Utility, the judge told me to "try that again and get close to the jump" on his go-outs. It depends on the judge you have. Most of them want to allow you certain leeway to get good practice in. They won't allow food, but they will over look some extra commands, etc.

I think it looks like they expect this to be a "fun thing". I am doing it in preparation for showing Emilu the next month, so it sounds like it would actually be perfect for us. If she doesn't do well, I'll know what we have to work on, or perhaps not show in obedience at all right now.