Rally question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rally question

DefaultRally question

Has anyone ever seen a broad jump in Rally Advanced? I haven't in all the trials I have been to or watched. Is that an option that is not used often?

Ruby is running excellent courses, and jumps well but has never been trained (yet) for the broad jump...so we can't enter advanced yet, as there may be a broad jump.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rally question

I've trained for it and have my students train for it but I don't think I had seen it in the courses we ran for our titles but did see it at All Stars. Part of the reason is the judges use the same jump twice in excellant.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Thanks Linda! I thought it was weird when I was reading the akc site that they could use the broad jump too, because I had never seen it, in probably 30+ trials.

I have a video of Roo running excellent at a match last week, I wish I could figure out how to share it, we were 1st place over two OTCH dogs and several RAE2,3 etc dogs. She really likes it!

Maybe we'll enter and see how she does, and keep our fingers and paws crossed for no broad jumps!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I've never seen the broad jump used in Advanced either, but I aske the same questioin on my Rally forum and some of the judges who post said that they have occassionally used it, but not very often. I train with it because it will be used in Excellent (which pops up pretty quick sometimes!) and also eventually for Obedience.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Since my dogs do agility as well as obedience, it wasn't a problem.
    I didn't have the broad jump in Rally Advanced, but did have it in Excellent.

We haven't officially taken an Open regular obedience class, and since my first boy was touch and go with the broad, I thought it a good idea to hold off until the fall before I introduce it to her, just to be on the safe side.

I entered her anyways at the show in Marshall MI for Advanced, as we'll be there anyways showing. If there is a broad jump, we'll see!

Anyone have a website addy where they show you how to make obedience jumps? I thought I had it saved, but apparently not!

Yes I have seen it more than a couple of times in Advanced. It isn't widely used because it takes up more space than a bar or high jump but you should always be prepared for it. I don't remember seeing it in Excellent though probably be Exc requires 2 jumps and you can't back jump the broadjump so you'd need 2 separate jumps,therefore taking up even more space, or the course would need to flow back around to line up the for the jump a second time which would also be time/space consuming.

We had nothing to do today, so in the past 3 hours I scoured Home Depot for the cheapest broad jump making stuff and made some.

So when this heat breaks, I'll introduce her.

1 set of broad jumps for $21! Beat that J & J!

And I didn't have to wait for it to ship!

Melissa, I'm not sure about CKC rally (I can't seem to find their rules/regulations) but for CARO the jumps in Advanced are solid or bar only, no broad.

Thanks Felicia, we don't have out CKC novice yet, so we'll have to get to work on that!

MaryLou is 2 legs up on me on that one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast