Dog Show Scare--it could happen to you...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Show Scare--it could happen to you...

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog Show Scare--it could happen to you...

cause it happened to me this weekend at Waynesburg. They had the obedience people park a way away from the building in a field. I really didn't think anything about it since people parked there the past two years when I was there. Saturday after showing I took the boys out to the car, put them in their crates and shut the doors. I always leave the chokes on since I know my boys are good and hook the leashes on to their respective crates and left the tailgate up and the side door open since it was so warm. Went back to the obedience to get my articles and other bag. Came back to my car to put my bags in to go back to the hotel and found Caleb's crate open, his choke off and his leash laying on the floor of the car. He was sitting in the corner of his crate with a look of panic on his face. I about lost it. As many of you know Caleb is my heart dog and I love Micah just as much. I don't know what I would have done if I would have gotten back to my car and one of both of them were gone. I had not put their collars back on with their tags--they were in the bag I was bringing out. Moral of the story--I am going to Home Depot to buy locks. I travel so much by myself with the boys I will never again leave them in the car without locking their crates. I am thankful to the Lord that nothing happened to them. I thought nothing like this would ever happen to me but it did but had an ok turn out. It might not be like that next time though, so off to Home Depot to buy locks.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Oh, gosh, Susan, I'm so glad you got back to the car when you did! The boys are chipped, aren't they? I just bought tags from AVID to hang on my Caleb's crates, and stickers for the vehicles that say "Animals Microchipped". That's in addition to a lock. Can't be too careful!

patm is offline Senior Member

So what do you think happened? Do you think that someone did this on purpose because the "poor dog was tied inside a car?"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It had to be on purpose Pat. I put Caleb in his crate and hooked his leash onto the crate, as I always do. There is no other explaination.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

OMG, Susan, I am so glad he was there! Thank the Lord!!

I'm a bit paranoid about my dogs. That's one reason I drag mom along, so she can wait at the car, or by the crates, as I ferry them back and forth.

Last year at the CPE trial I took just Remington. I threw my folding crate in the back of the Trailblazer because it's roomier and since it was only Remington, I had the room in the car as well.

The mesh is black on the crate, so it's difficult to see Remington inside the crate. I parked near the ring where I could see the car so I could keep an eye on him while I was walking the courses, etc.

At the end of the day, the sun was going down, and I was waiting on our last run results and ribbon. I swear I only did not look at the car for five minutes... I got my ribbon and headed back to the car, went to load up my chair and could not see Remington at all. I even called his name, and then the panic set in. I opened the tailgate all the way, my heart literally slamming in my chest with fear, unzipped the crate, and he was there, sound asleep. But what a scare.

I know exactly how you felt. Please get those locks. Gosh, what a horrible experience.

Did you see anyone around your van??? Do you think they did anything to him??

Susan, just a thought too, it's easy to pull out an entire crate if someone really wants the dog, so technically the lock, though a deterant, won't stop them from taking the entire crate AND dog.

Find a way to either lock the crate to the car, or lock both crates together.

My three wire crates are all secured together inside the Trailblazer.

No way can someone just pull one out.

My crates are secured together and secured to my car as well. So they would have to work to get crates out. Micah is a crate roller so we secured them so he would not roll the crate (he just plops down!). I don't think they actually did anything to him--he seemed fine but just glued to the back of this crate until he saw me. He still seems fine but boy, trust me he got lots of hugs and kisses all night! Where we had to park I could not see my car much less if anyone was near it. When I loaded the next day I moved my car where it could be seen.
    Last edited by ObedienceLabs4Me; 06-24-2009 at 07:23 PM.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Thank God, the dogs were OK. This is so scary. Give Caleb a big hug and kiss from Auntie Monnie.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

OMG, this is just still so scary.

Don't you wish Caleb could tell you who did it!!

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I have been using locks on my crates for the past 2 years. Glad your boys were OK.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast