We started VST training on Saturday

Thread: We started VST training on Saturday

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultWe started VST training on Saturday

Went to our first VST training on Saturday. I laid Scotty a track on four grass berms crossing crossing three asphalt roads aged 45 minutes. I was surprised that the trainer wanted us to do so much so fast. She even wanted us to do a track on a sidewalk alongside a building. I did not want to do too much (we have not been tracking since April) and get Scotty frustrated. He loves tracking and I want to keep it fun for him.

He did amazingly well!!! On the grass, he was tracking as if we have not had a break at all. Nose to the ground, leaning into his harness, confident and happy. On the first two road crossings, he was a bit confused, but we worked it out. On the third crossing, I think he knew what he was doing as he made a great line following the track.

The closest VST test is in Denver in the fall. We'll see. I'd love to do it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: We started VST training on Saturday

How neat! I really enjoyed tracking and so did Caleb. Just not enough hours in the day

I bet you'll do well and be ready for a test in no time!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Just be careful with the VST stuff. Ruby is ready for excellent, but I won't enter her in a VST. The one I went to watch had the dogs tracking through an area adjacent to a chemical plant on a 100 degree day, and the dogs a few days later had inhalent burns. I've also seen that with just tracking on blacktop.

I won't track a VST course.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What's VST? ???

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

What's VST?
    Variable surface tracking.

I've also seen that with just tracking on blacktop.
    Asphalt? I'll be careful and watch him closely. Thanks for the heads up. We were practicing in a business/corporate office type park; no plants or manufacturing there. But we'll be careful.

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

I think that would be exhiliarating to watch a dog to a VST track. Last year a woman from our dog club completed a VST with her Border Collie - I think it took her 7 or 8 tries to pass but she said it was a wonderful feeling to complete the VST. She will be invited to the National Tracking Invitational this year as a result so keep at it and best of luck. Tracking is something I wish I had known about earlier. It must so be great to see your dog "get it" and find that track. Very cool.
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

Hee. Thanks! That sounds really cool!!

Most VST's I have heard about have been at corporate buisness parks and some have been at schools. I have even heard that they run some tracks at night. I thought this was really weird but there are no rules against it and it is often better tracking conditions.

Kelly and Amber