Results of the Rally Run-Thru

Thread: Results of the Rally Run-Thru

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultResults of the Rally Run-Thru

Zeke did much better than he has been doing, back to heeling in what I like to describe as "Border Collie Style" (ie. heeling really close with his head turned up so he can look in my face) and prancing around. He was really excited.

We tried the advanced course *on* leash at first (because I don't trust him) and he did well---everyone who has seem him before said he was SO much better. Almost unrecognizable as the same dog. Then I got brave and decided to try once more...without the leash. He didn't do it, but I discovered the source of the problem

It started out good..."BC Style" heeling up to the first sign (we started about 15ft back), went over the jump and he got a little wild ( I think he was hoping we were switching to agility :). But I got him back and we kept going until he started butt tucking around and galloping like a horse. I bribed him to calm down and then had him drag a leash around the course (so, semi-off lead, but not really) and he finished it BC-Style again.

The distance we made it before his great escape is what made the difference...now I KNOW why he's leaving. In agility the trainers have been getting us to do "shadow work" which is basically just Zeke being my shadow and working on turns (flatwork, no jumps). They want him to be more attentive, so I have been rewarding attention on the flatwork/shadow work. I generally get him to pay attention for a turn or two which is probably about 15 or so feet....almost the exact distance he made it before he started going wild.

Basically....I have the behaviors down pat, but I am an idiot (surprise surprise) and I haven't worked full rally courses enough. He can go through a sign or two and then *expects* his reward. If he doesn't get it he goes off in search of something better to do.

Silly me left out a critical training step! : : (Training gurus, forgive me!! He's the only dog I have ever tried to train more than "sit")I treat him too often and haven't made him do an entire rally course with treats ONLY at the end.

If anyone has a slapping emoticon, now is the time to use it.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Results of the Rally Run-Thru

Quote Originally Posted by ZRL
    Silly me left out a critical training step! : : (Training gurus, forgive me!! He's the only dog I have ever tried to train more than "sit")I treat him too often and haven't made him do an entire rally course with treats ONLY at the end.

If anyone has a slapping emoticon, now is the time to use it.

Well, welcome to the real world of dog training!!! ;D ;D We have all done the same type of thing and most of us will again! Dogs are soooooooooo forgiving and can have their behavior re-shaped. Anyway, not a big deal! Have fun! At least you figured this problem out. Now you'll have something to work on until the next one pops up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have fun!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

At least you figured it out! Very observant of you to know what was causing the problem. That makes the fix all the easier.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Our dogs do what we teach them!! ;D Good and bad and not so right ways to do things that we later re-teach!! :P Glad you figured it out.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Treat training is very tricky. It has been the downfall of more than one trainer. These are the ones you'll usually hear complaining "You can't treat train a dog. They become dependent on the food. They won't work if you don't have food." At least you were smart enough to figure out what you were doing and how to fix it.

I think the reason so many fail is that they don't treat correctly. When your dog has done well you need to praise him (either voice or clicker or whatever), touch him (pat him on the chest or side, scratch his chin...whatever he likes most), THEN you treat him. If he does well and then you immediately treat him, you teach him to work for food. If he does well and you follow the praise/touch/treat method, he associates the treat with the praise (not the exercise) and learns to crave your praise/touch so when you don't have treats it won't matter.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    I think the reason so many fail is that they don't treat correctly. When your dog has done well you need to praise him (either voice or clicker or whatever), touch him (pat him on the chest or side, scratch his chin...whatever he likes most), THEN you treat him. If he does well and then you immediately treat him, you teach him to work for food. If he does well and you follow the praise/touch/treat method, he associates the treat with the praise (not the exercise) and learns to crave your praise/touch so when you don't have treats it won't matter.
    How true!!!! I think so many people around here over use food and forget about other methods of reward. I'll even tell my students to smile at their dogs, a nice normal smile which is something you always have with you.

For dogs who don't like to be touched they can jump up on you or something like that. There is a Toller in the area that hates to be touched and petted so she has him jump up on her. You can just see the disgust on his face when she pets him. Strange, but true.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org