Do You Put Treats In Your Mouth?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Put Treats In Your Mouth?

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo You Put Treats In Your Mouth?

Okay, are you one of those trainers that can put dog treats in your mouth and spit them at the dog for attention/reward?

I've tried and tried and tried this. I can't do it. My mouth gets so much saliva in it I about drown.

Is there a trick to doing this???

I've tried it with cheese and hotdog bits so far, and it's a gully-washer in there and I have to take the food out of my mouth.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do You Put Treats In Your Mouth?

Yes, I carry food in my mouth but I don't often spit cause I don't have good aim and Caleb can't catch. I do swollow a lot!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Gosh, I was really hoping there was a trick to it, like keeping it between your cheek and gum or something. Guess I just use the treat bag and be done with it

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Gosh, I was really hoping there was a trick to it, like keeping it between your cheek and gum or something. Guess I just use the treat bag and be done with it
    I use a bait bag as well but I have worked with it in my mouth for when I'm at a show. I have soemthing that I can stand to eat and then swollow it before I go into the ring. Thus (in theory!) he isn't sure if I have something in my mouth or not!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

I'll throw cheese or hotdog chunks in my mouth for the breed ring if I don't have any pockets. I try to keep it in my cheek until I need it. In UKC, you'll be asked to leave the ring for throwing treats, and I assume the same would go for spitting them, so I just grab a piece as needed. No saliva build up issues, sorry

I spit treats alot. I use garlic/bacon fried loin steak (in a red wine sauce)as bait, and end up eating a lot as dinner! String cheese works a bit better as it is easier to see against a background that the brown of meat. both Kodi and Hoss though have a tendency to gag on spit treats though, (I think I spit a little too accurately and get it right down the back of their throats!)

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom
    I use garlic/bacon fried loin steak (in a red wine sauce)as bait
    OMG...the treats you spit at your dogs are better than anything I eat!!

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom
    I spit treats alot. I use garlic/bacon fried loin steak (in a red wine sauce)as bait

Man, Karen! If I beleived in reincarnation, I would want to come back as one of your dogs! That's better than what we eat (as I chew a piece of meatloaf!)

Nicole--I have tried to have food in my mouth in the breed ring as well until I inhaled a piece of chicken while doing the go around. That is really good!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

It'a an excuse to open a bottle of red wine as I cook for the dogs! Squeeze a chunk or two of that meat in your hand and just the juice on your hand keeps the dog motivated for quite a while! I easily eat as much of it as th edogs do during traing. (The side benefit of hunting all my meat....there's always enough meat to go around!

Wow Karen, feel free to spit treats at me

I'm a mouth treater, I used to keep them in my pockets or bait bags, but Rhys would then raid the hamper and eat the pockets out of all of my clothes, so hence the mouth.

I am not spitty though and I use mostly chicken hot dogs and string cheese. From infancy I train them to catch from my mouth and we do a lot of mouth feeding exercises so I think they've got it. Although, half blind Rhys catches a heck of a lot better then half dumb Ruby!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast