Worked on Zeke's speed in agility - videos

Thread: Worked on Zeke's speed in agility - videos

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultWorked on Zeke's speed in agility - videos

Zeke has been slow lately, so I've been working on speed....

Results of "teasing" him with a target at the end:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iz7Ko9HQZbw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VsEBJx7xdvU

I was trying to make a jump about the width of the triple, I think I need to alter it a bit:
    http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=MVI_0814.flv

ETA: I forgot to ask if anyone has any tips or suggestions on improvement?
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Worked on Zeke's speed in agility - videos

Quote Originally Posted by ZRL
    Zeke has been slow lately, so I've been working on speed....
    He looks pretty speedy to me. I think you are on the right track by using a high value toy/treat at the end of the sequence. I would alternate a stationary reward with a moving reward (for example coming out of the weaves, toss the ball ahead so he starts to drive thru the weaves). Another thing to try is carrying the toy with you. I stick a Katie's Bumper in the back of my pants and pull my shirt over it so Murray never knows if I have it or when I'm going to bring it out. It has increased Murray's drive tenfold. I also use it as a tug toy to speed up wraps.

I attended a play training seminar for agility recently where the instructor made a comment that made complete sense. She said if you have an obstacle focused dog, you want to reward the dog with a tug toy so he learns to interact with you, check in with you, and that you can be fun. If you have a handler focused dog, you want to throw the toy ahead of the dog so he learns to look/drive ahead. I think if you want speed you want to toss the toy ahead to increase the dog's drive to move ahead.

I was trying to make a jump about the width of the triple, I think I need to alter it a bit:
    http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=MVI_0814.flv
    Interesting. The only issue I have with it is he is jumping blind when you use the high jump in front of the bar. He won't see the bar until he's already in the air. If he has a bad crash, he may start refusing to jump normal high jumps. There is a really good Yahoo forum for building your own agility equipment. They have lots of plans in the file section that might give you some ideas. I'm not sure if they have plans for a triple but you could ask the forum and I'm sure someone could help you out.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/agility-equipment/

ZRL

Yeah, the "triple" needs to be a real one. I did take into account jumping blind and I started out with them a lot closer together and only spread them that far apart after he realized there were two bars to clear.

Zeke isn't one to give up if he crashes...he rarely notices. Not that I encourage his clumsiness though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, the "triple" needs to be a real one. I did take into account jumping blind and I started out with them a lot closer together and only spread them that far apart after he realized there were two bars to clear.

Zeke isn't one to give up if he crashes...he rarely notices. Not that I encourage his clumsiness though.
    Is there some reason you can't use 2 bars instead of a HJ and a bar?

ZRL

The other bars are stick-in-the-ground and the ground is as hard as cement right now - they won't go in.

If a dog has a good foundation and is motivated, one time crashing a jump, falling off something, etc should do virtually no damage. Accidents happen, obstacles are wet, ground has holes in it, dogs try to do silly things like jump over the wings or over the top of the tire instead of through the tire. With a dog that is in good condition for jumping and loves jumping, one crash isn't going to stop him (or two, or three, or five...) ;D

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I will watch these later tonight after the boss has gone home. Can't wait. I really enjoyed your last agility video

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Great videos! Love your weaves. Nice entry and good speed going on there, plus he does them all by himself, impressive!!

Zeke certainly has speed and control. You guys will be burning up the courses and the competition.!!

ZRL

Control is actually our problem :-[

He isn't always paying attention, or I make a mistake or something and it falls apart.