Murray is a retriever

Thread: Murray is a retriever

DefaultMurray is a retriever

Sun I took Murray to his first hunt test training. The boy definitely has talent. At first they told me to go work with the puppies/young dogs that were just starting out. I said “but Murray is 6 yrs old. He already knows how to retrieve.” They said to go with the puppies anyway. So we walked over to the puppy field and Murray watched as the puppies learned how to go out to pick up a bumper and come back in all on a long line Finally it was Murray’s turn and he was such a good boy. I said “mark” and told them to throw the bumper. He waited and watched it fall then I sent him. He blasted off, grabbed the bumper, and sat in front where I took it from his mouth. The puppy people said “WOW! Did you see that?” Actually he’s supposed to go to heel position but I’m not going to ask for that right now. The thrower moved back so we could do some longer retrieves and I discovered that Murray knows EXACTLY how far I can throw something because that’s where he runs out to start his search but he eventually went back further and found it. They said it is very normal and that I need to work with someone else throwing the bumper so we can get some longer retrieves. They told us we had been kicked out of puppies and to go train with the big dogs.

We did some land retrieves down a hill into the lush tall grass, then we did the water retrieves which Murray LOVED. Then they had us try out birds on land. Murray wanted none of that. Bleck, patooey. :-X I made him hold the birds (pigeon and duck) and walk around with them but he refused to pick them up on his own so my friend sent me home with some birds to work on it. Next they said they would have him retrieve the bird from the water. I didn’t think he would do it but they said they have a higher drive to retrieve on water. Sure enough, he swam out, grabbed the bird and brought it back. He looked like a real retriever coming out of the water holding a bird. ;D I’ve got some great pictures that I’ll post here once I get them downloaded.

The rest of the time I ran some friends dogs and was the official puppy wrangler (lots of people had trouble getting their pups to come back). I’m sure my tennis shoes will never be the same after wading in that muck, mud, water, slime. Murray and I got baths when we got home, ate dinner, and promptly fell asleep. I’m still exhausted today but it was so worth it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Murray is a retriever

Zeke is jealous of Murray's versatile achievements.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

How fun! I know I really enjoyed field training my first two. Can't wait to start with Caleb.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

That sounds like fun - I loved your descriptions of Murray!! He sounds like such a good guy and so willing to try things!!!
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Isn't it fun working with birds! I'm always amazed by the labs natural ability as well. Murray really sounds like he enjoyed it. How great of you to put so much variety in his life

I love field work I just don't have the time right now. And did you ever notice that when you train in ponds your dog gets a rather interesting aroma?.. I am jealous of people who have access to fresh water ponds and streams. Maybe I will see you out her at Chino when you trial.

Kelly

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Great job!!!