Looking for some info...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some info...

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultLooking for some info...

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me out.

I was just wondering how I would go about getting involved in obedience (rally, more specifically).

Baloo is in a general puppy class now (he's only 14 weeks, obviously most of the training/competing won't be happening for a fairly long time!)

But what would be my next step? Are there certain trainers who train for that, and others who don't?

Do you need to get any titles in obedience before you can compete? CD, etc...?

Also, would I have to join some sort of club?

Any guidance would be appreciated, sorry if the questions sound kinda dumb!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Looking for some info...

Are you thinking about doing AKC or CKC Rally? You're in Canada, right?

Henrysmom is Canada and might be able to give more information.

Here's general information on AKC rally (I know some people do both CKC/AKC):http://www.akc.org/events/rally/index.cfm

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Rally-obed/

This is a yahoo group about rally. It has some good information.

Gabby and I are doing rally and then planning to move onto "regular obedience," so let me see if I can help with your questions Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

1) You definitely do not have get titles before starting in rally. It is designed to be an intro level obedience.

2) There are definitely competition trainers and non-competition trainers. Avoid Petsmart type classes as these are really focused more on good pet type stuff (which obviously is a good thing to focus on, but isn't the same).

Ask about titles that they've put on their dogs, how often they show, whether they accompany clients to shows like that.

I take private lessons from a trainer 1-2x a week with Gabby that has put 3 OTCHs on her dogs (the highest awards in obedience) and you can't do weekend lessons in the spring and summer because she is taking clients to shows.

3) Do you have to join some kind of club?

Hmm. Have to ? No.

Makes it easier. Yes.

First, Baloo obviously has to be registered (either AKC/CKC/UKC) to compete in rally.

Second, some of the best places to find obedience classes are obedience clubs. Here is an example of a local one: http://www.mcotc.com/

Here is the one I belong to (that my trainer runs): http://www.kimscanineclub.com/

Often, these clubs give you access to facilities to train in, access to mentors, discounts on classes, etc.

Let me know if I can help more- off to take a final. :-\

patm is offline Senior Member

I don't know about Canada, but most of the Rallys are very similar, especially in the basic training part. Your dog needs to know basic obedience (heel, sit, laydown, stay, finishes etc.). Novice Rally is on leash, but you can't use the leash to guide your dog - it must be loose. It would be helpful to get a book, especially if you aren't going to be able to attend a class. Order, or download a copy of the signs. I never took any official Rally courses, but had been in obedience for a year before Emilu and I started to compete in Rally. We got our first title in 3 shows (you need to qualify in at least three shows to title).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hi Kate!!

That's exciting that you want to do rally with Baloo!! It's sooo much fun (and addictive!), I wish I had started with Henery when he was younger. We didn't start until last year, when he was already 3. I wanted to find something fun to do with Henry, that was also obedience-based, and that was rally!

The CKC has now (finally) approved rally as an official title... prior to that the only rally organization in Canada was CARO (Canadian Association of Rally Obedience). Henry has his CARO RN and we're currently working on his CKC RN.

Nope, you don't need any titles before you start in rally, a good solid obedience foundation is all that's needed. If you can find rally classes in your area, that would be good too! Otherwise, you can download the signs and explanations from the CARO website: http://www.canadianrallyo.ca/.

You'll have to wait until Baloo is 6 months old before competing him in either CARO or CKC rally. He'll need to have a CKC registration number (you already have this from your breeder) and a separate CARO registration number. I believe that the CARO membership is a one time deal. AND, if you get really nuts about rally? You can register for an AKC ILP number and compete Baloo in the States!! We're one leg away from our AKC RN.

That's all I can think of right now... PM me if you need more info!!

Thanks so much for the info guys, totally appreciate it!!

Felicia - I will PM you when I'm at home and have more time to gather my thoughts and get all my specific questions out (club locations, etc..?)

He's registered with the CKC... does that mean that I would use his registered name at competitions?

I will definately download the signs and such...

I'm getting excited already!
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I know most places have training clubs or private places where you can train. The CD you remarked about is the first obedience title that you can get. With most of our brand new competitors, I suggest beginning with Rally cause it helps build confidence for both you and the dog. Do research about training facilities in your area. Go and watch some classes. Go to some shows and watch as well. I always prefer someone who is actively competing to be under in a class. When you are actively competing, you do look at things differently. Linda with Ruger, Lydia with Murray, Linda with Kona all actively compete and teach as well. I beleive they make the best instructors. So, go check out some places. Have fun. Make mental notes. No one place is perfect but you'll find a place where you fit in.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Both Rally and Obedience have A and B level classes so you want to think it thru so you do what is most beneficial for you. A classes are for beginning dogs and handlers. B classes are for experienced dog and handlers.

If you get your Rally titles first, then you can still compete in the A level classes in traditional obedience but if you do traditional obedience first and get the CD title, then you will have to be in the B level classes in Rally.

Hi Kate!

Where are you in Canada?

Hamilton, Ontario!!

Know any good clubs around? Any competitions I can go watch? huh huh huh..?? Hee hee ;D ;D
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Hamilton, Ontario!!

Know any good clubs around? Any competitions I can go watch? huh huh huh..?? Hee hee ;D ;D
    Some friends of mine use to come up each year for the Hamilton Dog Training Club trial. I think it is listed on the CKC website--that might give you a contact person.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast