Dumbell Question?

Thread: Dumbell Question?

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultDumbell Question?

Zeke is nowhere NEAR competing in obedience, but he does know all the novice exercises so I thought I would teach him the dumbell (for the distant future). How do you get a dog to realize it is NOT A CHEW TOY?

Zeke LOVES plastic chew bones and he thinks the dumbell is one...so when he sees it he wants to grab it,
    lay down, and chew on the ends.

Just wondering, it's not really a pressing concern at the moment (since he isn't near competing yet).

Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dumbell Question?

I know some people say NEVER allow your dog to play/chew the dumbbell. I did. Ruger had such an issue with the dumbbell (he wouldn't hold it in his mouth) that I bought several of them and we just used one for play. The one we actually retrieved with was kept up.

Since Zeke wants to chew the bell ends, you can cover them with aluminum foil. That should help disuade him from chewing them.

Unless he's really good at taking it and holding it, I wouldn't be punishing him to much right now for chewing/playing with it at this stage of the game.

ZRL

At the moment I just take it from him if he tries to chew on it. I will try the foil, but I am not sure how it will work....he's been known to eat foil. I guess if the foil doesn't smell like food, though, and is secured with rubber bands or something....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

You can also get some chicken wire and wrap the ends with that as you train. I don't think he'd want to chew on wire. But you want to do it in a manner that he can easily, safely, pick up the dumbbell by the bar.. .don't have any pieces of wire sticking out that might poke his nose, mouth.

If he chews the plastic one, try a wooden one. Murray actually gnawed the wooden one so we went with plastic.

ZRL

SUCESS! As of 5min ago Zeke is starting to understand what to do with a dumbell If I hold it out he grabs it, if I toss it short distances he runs and picks it up....on the BAR and not the bells (he does mouth them a bit, but he lifts it by the bell).

Maybe one day we'll be a real obedience team :P (ie. a team where the dog stays in the ring :P)