More obedience newbie questions!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More obedience newbie questions!

DefaultMore obedience newbie questions!

Okay, so you aren't allowed to talk to your dog in the ring, right? I mean, other than giving the commands to heel, stay and come for the recall and sit/down/stay for the group sit/down/stay?

No praise until the judge says "Exercise finished"?

Are you allowed to give a hand and verbal command at the same time? Or just one?

Thanks!! (2 1/2 weeks until our first preNovice trials!!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: More obedience newbie questions!

You're talking AKC, right? Yes, until the judge says "Excercise finished", you can only say the dog's name and the command. You can give a verbal command or hand signal, but not both. In UKC you can give a verbal command and hand signal.

Thanks MicksMom!

It's actually for CKC, but I think it's the same as AKC.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Very important to remember that you can give a 2nd heel command when your dog is not working as part of the team. It's major points but it's better than NQing the exercise. It's saved my butt more than once.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

And, there ARE instances when you can give a verbal AND hand signal. Read your rules book to find out when you are able to do so
    (with the STAY command you can give both verbal and hand signal)

I once gave Ruger THREE extra commands to heel during the figure 8. Major, major points off but we still Q'd in that exercise.

Oooh, good to know! Thanks, Linda!

Found this at the CKC site:
    Commands & Signals

In all parts of all exercises performed in the ring, only one single command or signal may be given by the handler. Any extra commands or signals, or the giving of a command and a signal must be penalized; except that wherever the standard specified command and/or signal, the handler may give either one or the other, or both command and signal simultaneously. Where a signal is permitted and given, it must be a single gesture with either arm and hand only and the arm must be returned immediately to its normal position.
    So.... does this mean I can give both a verbal AND a hand signal if they are at the same time?

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

In AKC Novice you can give either/or/both for stand for exam and stay BUT NOT for finish. If you give both on a finish, it's a DQ (for some reason, I've seen a few people do this). Also, in AKC Novice, you're allowed to give a verbal command to heel every time your dog halts. Some people don't do this for some reason. If your dog is in la-la land (and even if it's not), I prefer to also give a verbal heel command after each halt to increase compliance.

Scout and friends Guest

Twice I've been told by judges (correction match and trial) that I could have given an extra "Scout, heel" command on the off lead heel. She started lagging a bit and by the time I was told to stop, she was too far behind me. My instructor is a by-the-book type and so I didn't think it was OK to give another command to get her back with me. I like doing it by-the-book, but I'm going to cave and give the extra command next time if she starts lagging. Both judges said take the deductions, that's all it will be. One extra command is OK.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scout
    Twice I've been told by judges (correction match and trial) that I could have given an extra "Scout, heel" command on the off lead heel.
    That is true but it is major points off. I don't teach my competition students that either but I do tell them it is there should the need it but don't rely upon it. That is a bad habit.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Scout and friends Guest

My instructor said the same - those are bad habits to get into. My aim is to not need an extra command. I just thought it was interesting that twice I was told - you can give one extra command if you need to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast