Sandra Ladwig's methods?

Thread: Sandra Ladwig's methods?

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultSandra Ladwig's methods?

Anyone use Sandra Ladwig's methods of training. I just got a copy of one of her seminars on training puppies, and I LOVE it. It's very simple and upbeat. Very little corrections, lots of motivation with food (which will work well with Remington).

I'm going to give this a try. In fact, I think some of it will work for Ruger to help get his heeling up to par as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sandra Ladwig's methods?

I had never heard of her, but looked her up. Seems like she does a lot of stuff in or near Ohio. Maybe I'll be able to attend a seminar one day.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I went to one of her seminars in March. When we were in Michigan you can see a lot of her influence. I like a lot of her stuff but some I don't. Most people from outside our area say people around here use too much food so I guess you can say we do use a lot of food!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yes, but food is a GREAT motivator with labs That's one thing I liked about her method. I'm going to try it.
    Our "biggest" obedience person down here is Connie Cleveland. I tend to think she's a bit harsh with corrections. I know some of her methods would totally devastate Ruger, so I've never gone to any of her classes/seminars. Remington on the other hand... 8)

Some think that Sandy is harsh as well cause she really emphasises that too many dog trainers make way too many excuses for their dogs and that many people don't have their dog's respect.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

she's probably right. I tend to do both. I think with Ruger I have his respect. Magnum... it was iffy at times. Remington... he's going to be a hard one to tromp on

I've only watched the first CD in the series, but I didn't get that at all from her. In fact, what I liked about it was her correction method of taking the dog by the collar and driving him to the treat to keep up the animation and drive.

We tried her methods of getting puppies to do circles and backing up today in our little puppy agility class. Remington did the best at this, even better than the border collie in the group. Then again, I think I know how to handle dogs better than the other's in the class as well (I don't mean that boostfully, just honestly as an instructor).

I'm going to keep working on some of these things and see how Remington reacts. I also tried the method of having Remy circle to the left and fall into heel position and I dropped my hand behind me (with the treat in it) and my gosh... he did the prettiest heeling all the way across the field as I was going to set him up in front of an agility sequence. Wow is all I can say.

Problem is... since I'm very unfamiliar with her techniques I have to watch, watch, watch, and re-watch the segment I want to train so I know what I'm doing :P

I didn't think she was harsh at her seminar either but I know a lot of people refused to come. Their loss! One thing I have seen that I don't care for is the way she has her dogs jump up so high into the finish. When I was in Michigan I saw a lot of her teaching method in the ring. One dog actually hit the broad jump pretty hard. A lot of them were hitting the handlers. But, over all I did get a lot out of her seminar.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

The people I train with are heavily influenced by Sandy Ladwig, as Susan saw when she was up here for the Cluster shows. I have never attended one of her seminars though.