Go-out box question.

Thread: Go-out box question.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultGo-out box question.

Okay, those of you who use the go out box... I tried this with Ruger initially and he would not go in the box, period. So I gave up on it.

Wondering what you use for the "box"?

I would place PVC poles on the ground in the shape of a square... he would avoid the poles at all cost. I also initially tried making a "lane" to the gating using PVC pipes on the ground, rather like in a large V to drive him to the proper place to "touch" the gating, but here again Ruger avoided the PVC poles at all costs.

So I had to revert to putting cheese on the staunchion, or I would leave Ruger and I would walk out and touch the staunchion and then go back to him and send him. He does these beautifully... except at shows where his confidence plummets.

So, I'm curious about your box?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Go-out box question.

I used a raised platform (because Murray already knew a "place" command) but I have friends who use the go out box...the principle is the same. Remember this is a new picture for Ruger. He's never seen the box before so he's thinking "oh, scary new thing...must avoid."

The key is to start back at sq one...6" in front of the box, send Ruger to the box, turn and sit him inside the box by luring with a treat (or a toy or whatever motivates him). Make sure he is IN the box when you do this. Then go from 1', etc. When you are going from further distances (3'+) remember to follow him in, turn and sit him so he is rewarded immediately for the turn and sit. It will eventually click but it takes time and repetition. Gradually you can follow him in intermittently and then not at all.

I don't like putting treats on the stancion. I did that at first with Murray and it came back to bite me in the butt big time once we started showing. Even though I was intermittently putting treats on the stancion during training, when he would go out during a show and not find a treat it would blow his fuzzy yellow brain. He automatically went into foraging mode and had to check out every gate and every stanchion just to make sure he didn't miss the food somewhere. : I started having much better succcess once I started treating for the turn and sit.

Just wanted to add. I can't stress enough that Utility requires a VERY confident dog. It takes time and practice to make a dog confident. Murray was always very confident in training but he was extremely stressed in the Utility ring. The 2 do not correlate. I think you've only shown him what...4 or 5 times? Give this time. It will come together.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Luckily that doesn't happen with Ruger. I stagger when there will be treats on the staunchion and he will touch there to see, but he won't go looking around for it. In practice and at home he is very good, very happy, very fast on go-outs. In the ring he doesn't want to leave me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

We use our broad jump boards to form a box (three jump board and the gaiting forms the fourth side).

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I used the broad jump boards to form a chute and the box (with a yardstick to finish the box). I then used smaller stick guides and a folding ruler. I now use pointer sticks (that teachers use).

Kona was used to the chute since I used it to teach straight fronts.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Initially I taught the go-outs with the touch command. I use an actual box that is about 3 inches high x about 29 x 21 inches. I actually tell him to "go table" now for his go-outs cause he knew the table from the little that we have done agility. I would not use it as a method to train the go-outs but as a confidence booster--something that is a little more visual for him. I will probably forever travel with his go-out box.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org