I've Been Left Behind.

Thread: I've Been Left Behind.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultI've Been Left Behind.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but....

It is with joy and sadness that I see my JL friends getting their UD's. I've not been able to work Ruger at all due to caring for Mom. I feel so badly. I want the UD so badly. I just don't know if it will ever happen for us.

Do you think taking all this time off will really hurt our chances at getting it?

I have a fun match July 15th, and I've not worked Ruger once, not ONCE... and now it's so stinkin' hot outside, I don't want to work him.

~Sigh and double SIGH~

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I've Been Left Behind.

Sometimes you just have to do what makes sense to balance what is important in your life. I think you are making the right choices and I'm sure that you will still be able to do it when you have the time to devote to the training.

Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Utility takes repetition, repetition, repetition...oh sorry, I was repeating myself. In the early training it is crucial to train on an almost daily basis (particularly articles). Once the dog thoroughly understands the exercises, you can take longer breaks but I don't recommend it in the early stages. When I first started training Murray in utility, I took a break with him when we were finishing our CDX because he was confusing the exercises but I continued to work on articles and signals.

When it gets to be 115 in SC you can talk to me about it being hot. Training really doesn't have to take that much time (a few minutes here and there is just as effective as a 1 hr drill and sometimes more so) and most of it can be done inside the home. I practiced signals, gloves, and articles in my living room. When I practice outside I train early morning (I mean REALLY early...5am) or after 10 pm.

I have friends that practice go outs in long hallways. Practice signals before meals. Practice articles and gloves in the living room. Be creative.

I also wanted to say that LIFE should be your priority. There is no hurry to finish that UD this week, this month, or even this year. You shouldn't feel rushed to do this just because (fill in the reason).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lydia, our actual heat may not be 115, but with our heat indexes and humidity it is. I don't like to train outdoors in this heat because even though you can train only 5 or ten minutes, I still have to set up gating, etc... and then take it all down again and store it.

I can't train in the house. My house is small and with three dogs in there, it doesn't work for me

Guess I'll have to stop complaining and work in the heat

lcspt is offline Senior Member

When Kona had his ACL surgery (and before) we stopped all training until I rehabbed him. He is now 6 yo. You have plenty of time to get an UD on Ruger if you still want it later, when you can train for it and feel confident for both of you going in the ring.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

When Caleb hurt himself over Christmas it was the best thing for us. When we started again he really wanted to work. I don't think you hurt your chances. The foundation was laid. Yes it does take repetition but like I said the foundation was laid and it isn't like you're training all new stuff. I've known people whose dogs were injured and they lost almost a year. They did come back and get their UD. It'll be work. Plus, taking care of your Mom is so much more important than a UD. By the way--did she get my card?
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

THanks for the encouragment. I will get back to training. I've just been so busy with Mom. Thankfully she is doing really well...starting cardio-rehab on Wednesday. So until she has the all clear to drive, I will be taking her on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings. So my time will really be taken up.

Yes, Susan, she did get your card. She is planning on sending out some thank-you notes. She just hasn't gotten to it yet, but I'll be sure she does

Quote Originally Posted by raian

It is with joy and sadness that I see my JL friends getting their UD's. I've not been able to work Ruger at all due to caring for Mom. I feel so badly. I want the UD so badly. I just don't know if it will ever happen for us.
    Linda, I know how you feel. It is sort of like when I moved to US when I was 20 and started going to school here. Most of my friends in Europe now have their Master's degrees and I am not yet finished with my BA. Just remember that your situation is unique from others and try not to compare too much (this one is hard). You will have your UD sooner or later ;D

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Linda - How old is Ruger? I am sure you will get your UD when you can get back to training. I have tremendous respect for you. Three dogs are tough to care for even without training each of them individually and then with caring for your mom it makes it even harder to find time to do all I am sure you would like to do. When the time is right, the UD will happen. The other JL er's who posted about dogs being off training for a while all make valid points. My husband had to suspend training Shamrock twice for extended periods of time both due to surgeries he had. Shamrock just turned seven and finished his UD a month before his seventh birthday. The labs that have been in the Utility A classes with Shamrock ranged in age from about 4 at the youngest to 8 or 9 and I know someone who competed in Utility with a dog that was almost 11. There will be time for you and Ruger and once you start again, I'll bet it will happen fast. B
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We're not up to your level yet, but I often worried if I didn't practice for awhile it would be a major set back. Right now Maddy is at the point where we either have to do RE or her CDX. She's been so bad about the broad jump. I took time out in her training, got Hudler his RN, started Grace on her RN, and just started practicing the broad jump again, and I've had NONE of the refusals I used to have. What's up with that?? So in my case, taking time out didn't hurt. We also had some time out between legs on Hud's RN and Maddy's RA.

I think we are ready to go for our CDX now and I don't expect any problems.

I would take care of what you need to take care of in your life as that will always be more important. The dogs and ability to further their titles should still be there when you have time again.