Bad mommy...

Thread: Bad mommy...

debjen is offline Senior Member

DefaultBad mommy...

Flyer is in an agility foundations class and we were working on jump tunnel combination..We had done several runs and were getting ready for our next run and the dog ahead of us was jumping 16 or 20 inches (we were jumping 10 inches)..I saw our trainer by the jump and assumed she changed it..ooooooppppppppppssss ... we come out of the tunnel and I tell Flyer to jump and look at the bar and think..ohhhhhhhhh shhh***********t....brave boy tried it and hit the bar with his chest and front feet.... of course we bring him back to the jump and put the bar down to 4 inches but he didn't want to have anything to do with it..interestingly enough we did get him to do it in the opposite direction and it took a few more tries to get him to go in the direction where he hit the bar..guess we'll be playing our jumping game a bit this weekend..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

That's happened more than I care to admit in my class as well. I'm the chief course builder, setter, chute fluffer, etc. Most of my students dogs run at 16". For the sake of time... we generally run the bigger dogs at 16" as well. I have a bassett hound in class, and so often I forget to set the bars. She's gotten very good at running under them

You're not a bad mommy at all...

brody is offline Senior Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    I have a bassett hound in class, and so often I forget to set the bars. She's gotten very good at running under them

You're not a bad mommy at all...
    you aren't a bad mommy at all but please (as someone who runs the smallest dog in class nearly always) check and set your own bars ... teaching a dog to run under bars (even inadvertantly) or overfacing them can really cause long term problems down the road
    it's a pain and seems frustrating to me at times but I try to laugh and set my own bars and in most classes a couple of people usually jump up to help

your idea of playing lots of jumping games in different places with different jumps is a good one ...
    the more jumping can be generalized to be a good thing the better it will be

(hopefully you won't get to Sally's confidence level - she jumped over the railing of our deck with about a 7 foot drop on the other side and it didn't slow her down)
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

I usually do try to look and make sure the bars are set right but that time I thought I had looked and saw someone putting it down..but good reminder to double check...I obviously didn't scar him for life as he did 4 obstacle sequences tonight including a 4 jump sequence..*G*G*