Question about entering multiple classes in one trial...

Thread: Question about entering multiple classes in one trial...

DefaultQuestion about entering multiple classes in one trial...

I'm probably not even using the right words, but here's my question!

The Sarnia Kennel Club has obedience and rally trials offered on both Saturday and Sunday in July. I want to enter Henry in rally (novice A) and in obedience (preNovice A).

Rally and formal obedience would be in different rings, yes?
    Novice classes would go last, yes?
    What would be the chances of the Novice Rally class and the PreNovice obedience clas running at the same time?? (In Rally, they have Excellent, Advanced and Novice; in Obedience, they have Utility, Open, Novice and PreNovice).

Thanks, in advance! I just figure that I'm going to be driving all the way there both Saturday and Sunday, it might be fun to add a class each day... ???

(PS. Our new trainer had suggested we try PreNovice first, to get our feet/paws wet in the formal obedience ring)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about entering multiple classes in one trial...

There is always the possibility of conflicts. You just need to let the ring steward know. They do try to work with you. Generally, the regular obedience classes take precedence over the other classes (meaning you should give priority to the regular obedience class and be there). Rally and non-regular classes (such as Pre-Novice) are the ones you would/could possibly be late to.

Clubs run their trials differently. Our non-regular obedience classes are run AFTER the regular classes. And our Rally is in a seperate building and Rally Novice goes first.

Sign up. You will get a judging schedule and your exhibitor # about a week before the trial. That way you'll know going in what conflicts you will have.

Good luck!!

Out here Rally runs Ex B, Ex A, Adv B, Adv A, Nov B, Nov A and Obedience runs Open, Utility, Novice, non-regular. Rally is in one ring and obedience is in 2 rings so typically obedience finishes first but not always.

In my experience the more classes I sign up for the more likely they are to all be scheduled at the same time at different ends of the show site. For example, at one show this year I had Murray in 3 agility classes and Utility and Essy in conformation. 4 of the 5 classes started at 8. I walked 2 agility courses, did our Utility run, one agility run, switched dogs, ran to the other end of the show site and showed Essy in breed, ran back to the other end of the show site, switched dogs and ran Murray's last agility run all before 9. ;D Then I got to sit around for 4 hours waiting for the last agility run. :

Personally, I don't mind the chaos but some people can't handle it. The key is to have a plan. Decide which class is your priority. For me it was Murray's Utility class. Anything that conflicted with it would have been dropped so I really never stressed about it. If I made it to agility fine. If I missed breed, fine. I am more stressed showing 2 dogs because of the likelihood that I will have the wrong dog in the wrong place at the wrong time. At least when I'm showing one dog, I know I have the right dog. ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

That is exactly what Moose and I did in our first show. I did rally and pre-novice on Sat. and then just did rally on Sunday. I didn't have a problem because it was actually in the same ring - it was a lab specialty so it was a relatively small show.

I think I would go ahead and signup and let the stewards help. Most likely you will be the very last in obedience and I'm sure if you had a conflict the judge would be okay with waiting.

At the last show I went to my instructor was balancing conformation, rally and obedience. Now that would have been too much for me.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Lydia, I don't know how you do it. I stress. I don't like conflicts. I worry about it and get myself in a frazzle. I like things to be calmer ... especially at obedience trials. At agility I can deal with it better

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Lydia, I don't know how you do it.
    I like to be busy. ;D I will say a LOT depends on the dog. I could never switch gears like that with Essy. If she's in the breed ring, that's all she shows in. If she's in rally, that's all she shows in. She gets stressed very easily and shuts down. Murray is very high drive and loves to compete so he has no issue switching back and forth between venues.

The bottomline is you have to 1) know yourself and how you handle stress and 2) know your dog and how s/he handles stress/switching gears.

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Lydia - I think your advice for henry'smom is right on. Sometimes you don't think there will be a conflict but things happen. In Ohio, Rally can be run Excellent to Novice or vice versa although lately Excellent seems to be getting the nod to go 1st. We've had regular Obedience with 3 rings - Utility, Open and Novice so all three start at roughly the same time. Then some with Utility B and Open A at the same time so the UDX people have fewer conflicts. We were just at a show where the Obedience judges - married - were both delayed about two and a half hours because of flight delays. Classes were to have started a half hour apart with Utility B starting 30 minutes before Open B. Needless to say that didn't happen but everyone worked it out and was as flexible as possible.

Henry'smom - I would say sign up. Both Lydia and Linda are right - the stewards will work with you as much as they can. Here - non regular classes are always after regular so I would expect that Pre Novice would be near the end. Enjoy the time with your pup and aim for as little stress as possible.
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

Thanks everyone for your help!! Our entry form for rally and obedience will be going in the mail tomorrow!!

I was thinking about entering...hmmm...

Enter!! Enter!!!

I entered Henry in both rally trials, and trials #3 and 5 of PreNovice!