Complaints About Remington Unwarranted...

Thread: Complaints About Remington Unwarranted...

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultComplaints About Remington Unwarranted...

Just wanted to say... I know I've complained here a time or two about Remington not being all that smart, or fast, and that I've not had the time to spend with him that I had with my other dogs...

Well... we had our Wed. Morning Agility class today... this is for our puppies. The puppies he started out with are not nearly as far along as he is. Even in obedience stuff. I could sit/stay him and go move equipment and he'd stay there.

I guess it's just me. I expect more from him. Especially attention (he rarely looks at me)... but I guess I am getting his attention as he does listen for the most part.

And... he's getting faster. We were doing some sequences today, like Tire, Tunnel, Dog Walk, etc., and he blasted up the course

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Complaints About Remington Unwarranted...

It's tough not to compare your pup with your older dogs but each dog is an individual. I have this same issue with Essy. Sometimes I think she isn't as driven or smart as Murray but she is. She's just different.

I had Thor for 10 yrs and during that time he developed a large vocabulary (he could even distinquish which car we were taking). When we got Murray my SU compared him to Thor and said "He's stupid. He doesn't know anything." I said "We've only had Murray 24 hrs. Give him 10 yrs then we'll compare."

patm is offline Senior Member

Seems like he's learning pretty quickly to me! You're already planning on entering him in Rally aren't you, and he's only about 6 months old! I think we forget how long we've been working with our other dogs when we start training a new one. And of course, each dog is different. I know that I will need LOTS of patience to teach Skippy things - I kinda expect him to learn like Emilu - and he ain't no Emilu! Does Remington not look at you because he is interested in other things, or does he seem to not like to make eye contact? It took a long time (and a lot of treats) for Emilu to gaze lovingly into my face, and even now if you pet her, she tends to look away. But she was definetly listening and learning. But you didn't want a lecture - you wanted to say you were happy with him - so "Cool beans"! Way to go Remington! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

He tends to look at other things. With food he'll look at me, so we'll work on that. Yes, I'm entering him in a match on July 15... in Pre Novice and Rally Novice. He's doing the one, two, three back and also the come front finish right. We need to work on come front finish left. And the moving down. I think those are probably the hardest signs in Rally Novice.

Some dogs don't "look" at owners the same way. If you saw the winning dog (a yellow lab) from the AKC Obedience Invitational the dog never once looks up at the owner the whole time heeling. The lab just stays in sync with the handler and always seems to know what the handler was doing without having his head cranked around and looking up at the handler. The dog seemed to just do everything with no effort kind of like they weere on a sunday morning walk but he stayed in perfect position.
    There were other dogs there that had more flash but it seemed they couldn't handle the stress as well. After doing 5 complete sets of open and utility exercises in one day I had no doubt that this lab could have easily done another 5 sets without a problem.
    There are no rules that say a dog gets extra points for looking up at you. all the points are based on position. If you can get a dog to comfortably heel with you then you are half way there. Most points lost in the higher classes are in heeling and sits and fronts. NQ's tend to occur when your dog is away from you for an exercise.
    Remington sounds like he is doing very well So just relax and enjoy the journey..It is alot of fun!!

Kelly and Amber

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Hey Linda! He really does sound like he's doing just fine for a puppy his age! Remember he's a baby yet!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Linda - It sounds like at six months he knows a lot. There is nothing wrong with having high expectations but it seems as though he really has learned quite a bit for a young dog. I don't think my pups at 6 mos would have stayed in place for more than about ten seconds. It is hard not to compare but I guess dogs are like kids. Each is different and each is special. For me the hard part is learning what works best for each pup and then doing that consistently.
    Next year - Remy will be at the Obedience Invitational I'll bet!!!
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Isn't that funny??

I always say that Grace is pretty dumb (she WAS bought as a show dog, not a working dog), but in all honestly, Grace has picked up by osmosis most of the training stuff that I struggled with on the other dogs (because I started this hobby late in our lives). So maybe she was the smartest one of all? Or they pick up a heck of alot just by watching the older dogs!!