The good and bad of our rally trial this weekend
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The good and bad of our rally trial this weekend

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe good and bad of our rally trial this weekend

This weekend Moose and I went to our 2nd dog show where we entered Rally Novice. The first show we got 1st and 2nd place and earned 2 of our rally Novice legs. It was a lab specialty and was really fun. So since we were on a roll I entered a show this weekend that was really huge. Over 1800 dogs entered in conformation, obedience, agility and rally. It was truly amazing and what an experience. I truly enjoyed seeing all of the breeds in one place - and some really beautiful dogs.

So Saturday, after exhausting myself from hauling everything to our ring (quite a ways to walk) we got settled and found out they were really behind. We arrived about 10:30 and our start was delayed from 11:30 to 1:30. So I just tried to stay cool and calm. The course we had for Rally Novice A was actually pretty straight forward. We were about 4th from last out of about 22 in Novice A. We had the worst run ever, but we did Q and we earned our Rally Novice A !!!! so what to do about Sunday?

I decide what the heck we will move up to Adv. A - afterall look how well we did in Novice. So I talked SU and son into going with me to help me haul everything (I was so tired from Sat.). We got there in time to sign up and relax for about an hour. Lots of support, my obedience instructor was competing in the same ring, several others from my classes and Julie (CaliforniaLabLover) plus my family. How could I go wrong!

Oh Connie - this should make you feel better!

The course for Advanced A started out with a jump and had a spiral 8 with food and toy along with several other challenging signs. But I figured we were up for the challenge. We entered the ring last so of course we had everyone watching. We went towards the jump and I give Moose the "over: and he looks at me like "what???". And then, oh look there is a food dish - he bee lines to the dish and is just shoving his snout down trying very hard to get to the food. I actually manage to get his attention and we come back and we try again. Once again I got the "you want me to do what?" look. At this point the judge says you might want to just skip this and go on. Well I didn't need to bother because Moose decided to go check out the food again and then left the ring.

I wasn't too bummed not going back into the ring for the awards since out of the 8 in Adv. A on Sunday only 1 person Q'd - and it wasn't my instructor

So we have lots of work to do over the summer on off lead and hopefully by the fall we will be ready to try again. What a long day for a NQ.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The good and bad of our rally trial this weekend

Congratulations on that RN title!!!! ;D As you found out none of us die from the embarrassing antics our dogs pull!! Have fun training this summer and trialing this fall.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A NEW RN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry that the Advanced class didn't go well, but as you said sounds like it was a tough course. You did great in Novice! That is terrific!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Congrats I think you guys did great. Bowls of food in the middle of the course...omgosh..talk about a set up for a Lab lol

Dang I just missed you guys. I got to the ring about the time they were just starting Novice B so I went and watched agility and came back to watch Novice A but didn't see you guys. Oh well next time I can see you guys in Rally Advanced. Congrats on the New Nurse in your family!!!!! There is nothing better than that first title savor the moment..

Kelly and Amber

Congrats on the title!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh Sharon! Oh boy, this definitely does sound like a day with Angus! When you said the jump and offset figure eight first, I actually said aloud, "OH NO!" Not good!

But hey, you guys DID do really well in Novice! I guess it's just going to take some time for off-leash. Angus is in temporary retirement right now actually I'm going to take Simon, aka "My Nice Dog," to the next trial. :-*

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the RN!!!!!

Open bowls of food are just not fair to labs!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Congrats on your RN title

I know how you fell the the food bowls. Sooner only needs 1 leg for his RE title. Well at the last show I only enter one day thinking that he would finish. I should have taken into count that has has done more Agility training lately because he forgot he was to stay close to me. But to top it off we had offset figure 8 with food bowls and they had REAL HAM in it. I thought I would never get him away from the bowls. It was so embarrassing and yes my trainers were there. He will not try again until October because I am working with some other dogs in obedience while he does Agility. But in the mean time we are training with his favorite foods in the bowls during practice so this does not happen again. But who knows he may try again. He is a very smart dog and knows the difference between training ( i can and will stop him) and a show ( a can not physically correct him) but he might be surprised next time because if he does it again I will ask to be excused and take him from the ring.

Dayna

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

What a great accomplishment for both of you - the RN title. And good for you for trying Advanced - you would have not really gained anything from another Novice Leg and this way you learned all too clearly what you need to work on. Amazingly enough, I never had to do the Offset Figure 8 until I was going for RAE legs. Now it appears with way too much regularity. The 1st time Doro saw the treats and toys resulted in the lowest RE score we ever received. Even today if I see the Offset I think - OH NO - wonder how many points off we will get this time. The toys are almost a bigger challenge than the food because he can actually pick those up!!
    Continued good luck to you and enjoy that title!!! B
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast