I don't think I can do it....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't think I can do it....

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultI don't think I can do it....

Training Remington for utility stuff before we get a CD. I really don't think I can do this. There is this little part of me that has to do things in order. I'm trying hard to break the mold here, but honestly, I can't see past the novice training with him until we get that novice title.

I guess I'm weird. Or anal. Or both :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I don't think I can do it....

You know 20 some years ago when I started training that is how it was done and I know it was hard for me, too. BUT, I know with my next puppy I will definately begin things like the go-outs etc while they are still young and so eagar to learn and have that air of confidence that so many puppies have. There is no right or wrong way to do the training. You'll do fine!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Connie Cleveland overlaps all three levels by skills vs. levels. Makes alot of sense.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I know it makes sense to do it... it's just hard for my way of thinking. I like to read directions and follow them step by step. To get to from point A to point C I need to go to point B. I don't know what they call this... and I think it's really rather odd considering how creative my mind is.

I agree...follow Connie Cleveland's schedule of training. It teaches common exercises by building on them so it really makes sense to the dog and keeps things interesting for both of you. I may have the schedule somewhere, let me look.

Think about it this way, you won't be ready to show him in Novice until he's 2 or 3 anyway. If you train thru Utility for the next 2 years you'll be able to get the titles back to back...bim, bam, boom. Also, the advanced exercises really build the dog's confidence. Just think how amazing his novice runs will be since he will know the utility stuff which requires him to think on his own.

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

I am going to make sure my husband knows your thoughts, Susan & Lydia. He hopes we are getting a puppy later this summer. I know I saved the Connie Cleveland article about what order to teach things to your puppy - now I just have to find it. I think, Susan - your point about confidence is well made. When our labs were pups, they were basically fearless and so anxious to learn - it makes sense to use those characteristics early on. And then - a UD at 3? Maybe not - but if there is a well thought out training plan in place I am sure it will really help. Linda - the directions are still there - just in a different order. When I find the Connie Cleveland article, does anyone want a copy? I would have to mail it because I don't have a scanner but I would be happy to do so. Susan - I can give you a copy at Waynesburg if you want. Also - there's a Lab Speciality in Michigan on Friday Sept 28th at the Monroe County Fairgrounds FYI sponsored by the Huron River Lab Club. From me - I think its about a 2 hour drive and looks like its only a 1 day show. Premium is not yet posted. B
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2yellowlabs
    I am going to make sure my husband knows your thoughts, Susan & Lydia. He hopes we are Susan - I can give you a copy at Waynesburg if you want. Also - there's a Lab Speciality in Michigan on Friday Sept 28th at the Monroe County Fairgrounds FYI sponsored by the Huron River Lab Club. From me - I think its about a 2 hour drive and looks like its only a 1 day show. Premium is not yet posted. B
    That would be great Betsy! I know we're seriously looking at a breeding that might take place later this year. Not sure yet.

The Lab Specialty obedience is outdoors, at least I'm pretty sure it is. I was going to go last year. It's the same weekend as Bucyrus and I opted to go down there for indoors obedience.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Susan - I think you are right about the HRLC being outside. I can show D is Rally and Terry can watch!!! lol
    We haven't gone to very many specialties and I'd like to learn more about confirmation. I don't know the names of many Midwest breeders other than Carol Heidl with Tabatha and Paradocs is her too I think. I figured we could go for the day. I must look to see about Bucyrus - I didn't notice that one yet. Thanks.

Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I know what you mean, but there are some things you can do as an "introduction" and maybe a break from your regular training that does incorporate the advanced stuff.

Like I am training Grace and Hudler for jumps in Rally Adv. (Hud just finished RN and we're going on to Novice OB and Grace is just starting RN) and Maddy for the broad jump in Open OB (she's going for RE next). They all train on both just because. And I switch it up between other training exercise days.

Quote Originally Posted by 2yellowlabs
    Also - there's a Lab Speciality in Michigan on Friday Sept 28th at the Monroe County Fairgrounds FYI sponsored by the Huron River Lab Club.
    Our specialty's obedience trial is indoors. I'm not sure if the all breed club offers obedience on the weekend or whether it's indoors or out though. Come on up, it's a blast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast