Agility question - teaching left & right
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agility question - teaching left & right

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultAgility question - teaching left & right

I was going to work with Sky this morning but I wasn't sure what position I should be in. This is I'm sure a really stupid question, but I don't want to screw this up. I'm assuming I teach her right and not my right. In other words if I say right I need to make sure she is going on her right and not my right. Does this question make sense?
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Agility question - teaching left & right

I have a couple of questions. Are you concerned regarding the side on which you work Sky? If so in agility you work both sides, with dog on the left and dog on the right. Or are you trying to teach her directionals as in go left and go right?

Ok, I checked your first agility post. I am frankly too directionally challenged to teach my dog left and right. I would have ot stop and think is it my right or the dog's right etc. I taught my dogs an out. As in there is a dog jump farther to the left or right and go out I want you to take it. I also have taught them a switch which means the dog is taking a jump on my left or right and I say switch instead of jump which alerts the dog that I am rear crossing and that we are heading the opposite direction. Hope this helps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You should be teaching the dog its right and left. Mostly you use this for when the dog is way aheAd of you so it will be the same for you as your dog. also when you walk the course before the run you will practice saying right or left in the right spot.
    You can also use the term "Turn" which will mean the dog should turn away from you. You can use this instead of both right and left. And then "Come" would mean to turn toward you. These are a bit easier to use and will work perfectly well 98% of the time. "Go" or "Go On" means for the dog to keep going ahead in the line they are taking.
    "Out" or Get Out" means the dog should move away from you laterally. Some people use these terms slightly differently so you just need to decide what you want to use or are comfortable to you.

Kelly and Amber

It's the dog's left, so usually I have the dog on my left and lure him in a circle away from me, but Boo doesn't follow food lures so I had to start by just throwing the ball to his right or left and think about which side is which.

Thankyou for the replies. I was thinking about trying to teach her while we retreive. She is so ball motivated that I thought I'd integrate it in the training. this will also enable to train without having to crate Moose - he could care less about the ball

I'm then of sending her either left or right and then throwing the ball. Guess I"ll see how that works - she is pretty smart and picks them up quickly when I take the time to spend with her - that is the hard part.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Yep, it's the dog's left or right. I am also too directionally challenged to even teach this Besides, there is never a point where my dogs are that far out in front of me to worry about this. They aren't that fast :P

My trainer teaches it with the dog sitting in front of you facing you. You say "left" and lure the dog in a circle to the left (the dog will spin backwards to it's left). Same for right. It's really amazing how quickly they catch on. I was worried that teaching them to spin in a circle would be an issue but when the dog is running, I haven't seen one spin yet. For the record, I haven't taught my dogs left/right simply because I'm directionally challenged. I use out (go away from me whichever side you are on) and here (come into me which ever side you are on) and switch to change directions when out in front of me (rarely used )

For the record, I haven't taught my dogs left/right simply because I'm directionally challenged. I use out (go away from me whichever side you are on) and here (come into me which ever side you are on) and switch to change directions when out in front of me (rarely used )
    This is pretty similar to what Kelly posted. I think after already spending sometime with more traditional obedience that this would actually be better than having to remember left or right. I could easily see myself getting that screwed up. Even more so for my son.

Sky already knows "go" since I use that to get her to go out for a catch vs a retrieve. And she knows knows come from obedience class so I'm thinking this would work out better. Although I may try the left/right just to have.

Quote Originally Posted by dakkerdog

Sky already knows "go" since I use that to get her to go out for a catch vs a retrieve. And she knows knows come from obedience class so I'm thinking this would work out better. Although I may try the left/right just to have.
    Be careful about using the same obedience commands in a different context to mean something different. If come means "come close, face me, sitting in front of me for obedience" do not use it in agility to mean "come near me or in my general direction." That is the quickest way to screw up your obedience dog. Remember dogs think in black and white. Either it means a formal front or it doesn't and believe me, not doing a formal front is a lot easier so the dog will take the path of least resistance. I use "come" to mean front and "here" to mean near me. I use stay in agility and obedience because it means the same thing...stay there until I tell you to do something different. The thing to remember is to use your release word in agility too for start line stays, table stays, contact stays (if you use stay for your contact), etc. If your criteria is different in agility then you need to use a different word.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast