Our first agility lesson wasn't very exciting - UPDATE 2nd week better!

Thread: Our first agility lesson wasn't very exciting - UPDATE 2nd week better!

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultOur first agility lesson wasn't very exciting - UPDATE 2nd week better!

UPDATE: Our 2nd class was last night and it was so much better. My son wasn't going to go and changed his mind - he actually enjoyed it! We worked on desentizing the dogs around the equipment. We did puppy pushups, but did stand to down vs sit to down. We started working on an exercise to teach them to recognize their back end, and worked to improve our release commands. My son actually did pretty good. Sky tends to still look at me for approval, but if I can get him to work with her at home (the big IF) then that should improve. The instructor is going to be showing in agility at the same show I'm doing rally with Moose so I'm hoping I can see her run. She is doing her own dog and another clients dog.

It should have definately been without a dog class - Sky and my son were really rather bored. We basically just sat and listened for an hour - my poor son. Noriko, the instructor sounds like she really wants to work the foundation before sending us off, but it does make it much more tedious and less fun to start out. I learned what I need to go off and do, but I would have rather spent time working with the dogs while we were there. For example, she wants to make sure our dogs know left and right. She did show us several ways to teach it, but I would have liked to have done it in the class. Guess I'll see what next week has to bring.

These are her credentials on 2 of the dogs she has shown so she appears to be very good. She has a 12 week puppy that was already amazing at what she will do. She took training tools to the breeder and had her start having the puppy get used to movement when she was 6 weeks old.

ADCH, MACH4 "Misha" U-CD, CGC
    2001 USDAA Grand Prix Finalist
    2002 AKC Nationals 16" class 2nd pl
    2003-2004 USDAA GP Semifinalist
    2005 USDAA PNS Finalist
    2006 USDAA PNS Semifinalist, Tournament Top Ten

Westerness Red Missile, "Remi" MX, MXJ, AAD, CGC / 2.2.2004 - 12.26.2006
    2006 World Team Tryouts 14" class demo dog
    2006 USDAA Northwest Regional Winner in 16" class
    2006 USDAA World Game Finalist
    miss her:-(

It is definately very different than tradition obedience, but hopefully Sky will respond nicley. She had some really good ideas on how to get them used to movement. Basically desensitize before getting them in a position that would startle them. We only have 3 people in the class for the remaining 5 weeks so hopefully it will definately pickup!
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Our first agility lesson wasn't very exciting

I'm surprised she didn't have you do the things in class as she was describing them. That's what we do. When we were learning left and right we were doing it right there with the trainer.

Make sure you tell your son he won't be running courses for a quite awhile so he isn't expecting it. The fundamentals are very important. A lot of trainers gloss over them then teams have issues later. My trainers drill the fundamentals (even at level 5 where I'm at)..proper performance of every obstacle, handling skills, etc. My trainers drill accuracy first then work on speed. We just had a seminar where they brought in an outside trainer who teaches speed first then accuracy. It's interesting to see the different philosophies.

I have noticed that every agility trainer does things differently. I do like the trainers that focus on speed at first if you have a slow dog. I also like the ones that focus on accuracy and attention for those of us with fast wild dogs. It always depends on your dog what you need. I would have liked to have done stuff for your first lesson or at least practiced the homework in class to make sure you don't do it wrong for a week. But at least give it a chance for a few weeks. I found that I was very frustrated for the first 3 months with agility but once everything started coming together it suddenly got very fun.

Kelly and Amber

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I too would rather be doing stuff with my dogs in class. All of my classes are bam, bam, boom. We get dogs right into the action. I like to get people geared up with the fun aspects of agility, and then work in the more technical things. I do make sure people are not forcing their dogs on equipment and are doing it safely, but otherwise, we even run small sequences the first class

debjen is offline Senior Member

While my class is just an intro class...(people trying it out to see if they like it)..we spend about the 1st ten minutes going over rules and the basic on equipments in the first clas we generally go over jumps, tunnels, table, aframe at least

patm is offline Senior Member

I think that if she knew you weren't going to be doing anything with the dogs, then she should have had a class without the dogs. It IS boring for your dog to sit there for and hour and do nothing.