Teaching the retrieves

Thread: Teaching the retrieves

DefaultTeaching the retrieves

I remember some time ago someone posted a link to a very simple, step by step way (I believe clicker) to teach a dog to retrieve.

My Roo will not retrieve unless in water, so we have our work cut out for us!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Teaching the retrieves

Well, if he retrieves in water, you're halfway there. I have seen descriptions of clicker training for retrieves, and our class does a type of that kind of training without the clicker (say special word and treat instead of click and treat) and to tell you the truth, it would bore me to tears! These people have spent months just getting their dog to nose the dumbell. I think there is one called "21 incredibly boring steps to get your dog to retrieve (or something like that - just kidding!) I have seen the steps, but a quick google search didn't turn it up.

she's retrieve in water quite reliably, and hold very reliably, its the inbetween stuff!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm assuming this is for obedience, but you can force fetch her just like you would for hunting retrieving. I really like the smartworks series by Even Grahm. You would only need the first book "Smart Fetch".

I'd pm FallRiver because I'm sure she has the clicker info.

The key to teaching a reliable retrieve is to break it down into the smallest steps and go V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y. The problem most people have is they go from putting the DB in the mouth one day to asking the dog to retrieve the next day. There are tons of steps in between and it takes months to get a reliable retrieve.

That's right - there are many steps! My dog basically had a very nice retrieve and would deliver it to the front of me and drop it practially from pupphood on. But when we learned how to do it "for real", we started with "take it", getting them to reach out and take the dumbell - then "hold it" (don't drop it until I say so), then you go from there - not actually throwing it for quite a while.This is the area where the infamous "ear pinch" raises it's head also - so be prepared for that decisioin.

We started the force fetch with her when she was a little and she will take it and hold on command, its all the other stuff! LOL

I won't hurt her to get her to do what I want. I realised really quickly with her that that is NOT her cup of tea.

You might want to try the 'Shirley Chong method'. It is broken down into small steps and is totally positive. I trained a very reliable retrieve this way on a total non-retriever

http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/retrieve.html

That's the one I was thinking of! I have nothing against it, but I can't even get through reading about it, let alone doing it. Good Luck!